Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nottingham Forest (a)
Can’t help but wonder how much better our midfield would be performing with Tonali instead of the bairn.
(10-02-2024, 07:34 PM)Mick Wrote: Can’t help but wonder how much better our midfield would be performing with Tonali instead of the bairn.

Be careful what you wish for.  I smell a rat with that whole fiasco and it's name might just be Tonali.  We'll see.
I was just going to say Mick, and this is not a personal attack on Miley, he is a young lad, trying his best and clearly has ability. There is a big but though, and that is how poor we have looked with him in the midfield. His understanding of the game isn't up to scratch, he is slow out of possession and defensively he has so much to learn, continually getting caught out. That's part of the journey he will go on, but at 17 he is doing everything he can do. Willock/Joelinton/Tonali would be a huge upgrade and it's no coincidence how poor we look with Miley in the midfield every single week being asked to do too much at this stage of his career.
Rarely have I enjoyed us winning less than that.  There is much wrong and I don't see our manager putting any of it right.
Bruno made the difference. Classy show by our class player! Love
(10-02-2024, 07:40 PM)GhostfaceKillah Wrote: I was just going to say Mick, and this is not a personal attack on Miley, he is a young lad, trying his best and clearly has ability. There is a big but though, and that is how poor we have looked with him in the midfield. His understanding of the game isn't up to scratch, he is slow out of possession and defensively he has so much to learn, continually getting caught out. That's part of the journey he will go on, but at 17 he is doing everything he can do. Willock/Joelinton/Tonali would be a huge upgrade and it's no coincidence how poor we look with Miley in the midfield every single week being asked to do too much at this stage of his career.

Totally agree.
But as you say, we have had no alternative.
It's almost like we needed to sign a defensive midfielder last summer, and then again in January! Why on earth it has taken Howe this long to change the flat 3 to sit 1 or 2 players deeper than Bruno so he can impact the game at the top end of the pitch is beyond me. When we signed him he scored goals and got into good positions in the attacking 3rd, and then stupidly shackled him with the responsiblity of playing in the position a 6 would play, as part of an inflexible flat 3.

We needed to win but there is still so much wrong with the midfield, and I don't think we casn do anything with it until Willock is back. Such a shame Big Joe got injured when he did as we could have really kicked on with the 2nd half of the season.

It is what it is, 3 points, good things to praise, bad things to review and try and sort before Bournemouth next weekend.
I think quite a few of our fans forget that we got top 4 with a reasonable/normal level of injuries.

But this season we’ve struggled because we just didn’t have the depth of squad to handle the demands of all the extra champions league games - and the squad has been ravaged by injuries as a result.