Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mark Ronson!
I know a lot on here are in to their music, in all shapes and forms.
Not too sure how many are "down with the kids" in terms of modern "music" but here goes.

I've had this issue for a long time over this Mark Ronson fella.
Musician, artist, producer or whatever he wants to call himself.
saw him on Glastonbury coverage last night and it just brought it all home. What a complete fecking W*nker the bloke is.
Posing round the stage looking like a poor imitation of someone pretending to play guitar on Top of the Pops in the 80's
Had a lot of hit records attributed to him, but in reality the songs are down to the talented singers who sing on HIS songs.
Bruno Mars and the late Amy Wino House being 2 very talented singers who make his limited talents look good.

At one time a record producer was just that. He produced the records and got a credit for it.
Did we get records by Brian Eno, featuring U2?
No, the band got the plaudits for their stuff and rightly so.

Really is a bug bear of mine. just what does constitute an "artist" these days?

Back to Ronson for one final point. What the feck is that fake American accent al about? :hair:

Discuss.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
the music business is a mess and has been for years ,its one big con .record companies give you money up front to make the single / album ,bands spend it like its going out of fashion ,they dont know they have to pay it all back .i have a few friends in the industry and they all say the same .

on ronson i cant stand the bloke
DONT RENEW SEASON TICKETS ,DONT BUY SHIRTS ,DONT GO TO SPORTS DIRECT ,DONT GIVE THIS MAN ANY MORE MONEY .
Didn't see him! Don't like his new stuff but his earlier stuff was better with most of these DJ turned producers they get the fame then go all commercial to make the money! Harsh to say he's rubbish check out his Wikipedia for his earlier stuff!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Ronson

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(27-06-2015, 09:34 AM)Monty Don Wrote: Didn't see him! Don't like his new stuff but his earlier stuff was better with most of these DJ turned producers they get the fame then go all commercial to make the money! Harsh to say he's rubbish check out his Wikipedia for his earlier stuff!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Ronson

My issue is not with the quality of the tracks attributed to him.
It's the fact that they are attributed to him at all.
He's a writer(?) and producer, end of.
The proof is there when you watch a live "performance" by him.
Watched some of his stuff last night where he had people like Mary J Blige singing for him and even had Grand Master Flash on there as well.
But the real issue for me was when he had a stage full of people prancing about to him pretending to play guitar and had an Amy Winehouse vocal recording playing rather than someone else singing.
Proof that without the REAL vocalists these people are nothing.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
This is the way now David guetta Calvin Harris etc etc DJ's create the music always have guest vocalists! I personally like disclosure and chase and status seen them live they come into this bracket but each to their own!

Does Calvin Harris not sing his own stuff?
Thought he was along a similar line to Example. maybe not the best singer but gives it a go.

Not really a fan of all this type of stuff as I'm a bit of a traditionalist and prefer my guitar bands.
Not just the old ones either. really in to my new music.
Just don't get all the hype over DJ's and remixers.

But as you rightly say, each to their own as plenty others see to "get it"
Mis spent youth and all night raves Steve! Once a raver and all that like me old indie stuff as well madchester scene happy Monday's etc!

(27-06-2015, 10:05 AM)Monty Don Wrote: Mis spent youth and all night raves Steve! Once a raver and all that like me old indie stuff as well madchester scene happy Monday's etc!

Didn't mind some of the Manchester stuff but not all of it.
As you say, Happy Mondays were good but Stone Roses were THE band of that generation. Just a shame Ian Brown is such a tosspot and poor live performer because the music they produced was brilliant.
Loved a bit of the Smiths and New Order as well.

I have a massively varied musical taste/background.
teenage punk years, mods and the Jam, heavy metal, indie bands, nu metal. been there, seen them all and still going back for more.
just never been a dance fan though there's one or two tracks I tend to like.
Not a fan of the modern rap stuff, as I tend to put it, the modern day rappers put the "C" in to rap. I have seen Jayzee live though.
Loved some early stuff though like Grandmaster Flash, Sugarhill Gang and Gary Byrd. early 80's rappers when it was just kicking off.

As I say, very varied taste.
I like most stuff! Never been into heavy metal! Don't like rap too loved the jam went through a mod stage when I was 14 had the parka and everything then got into the dance scene and its stayed with me! Still go to Ibiza every year with the Mrs for a long weekend just to get away from it all! [emoji2]

First of all thank you, I didn't know this guy button I do and I can avoid him with much greater ease in the future :D.

Moving on to the points you make though here's my take on it (bear in mind I have just listened to some of his stuff feat and some not feat and listened to an impassioned but irritating TED talk that he did. I'm all Ronsoned out now!

It seems to me as though Ronson's first position is as a DJ, not like the ones you used to hire for your school disco though, one of the ones that takes samples and does all that wiki wiki scratchy stuff and treats a record player as if it's somehow an instrument. Now I don't like this kind of thing and honestly I think a lot of people get into it because they can't play an instrument and think playing a sample of someone else playing an instrument is the same thing. Others have the ability to tie samples together in a way which takes a musical ear, harmonic knowledge and rhythmical ability and that's musical creativity. So while it's not my kind of thing I get it. To me Ronson has that ability and that sensitivity to music which makes him good at his second job i.e. producer. Producers are great (or can be) they can take the raw musical energy and turn it into something amazing and they deserve credit for the job they do. Most good producers get that credit and it seems that Ronson has had this with some of his produced work, good on him eh.

It's his third position that seems to cause some annoyance for you and that is as an ok instrumentalist that can't sing and uses other artists to fill out his inadequacies to achieve a career in pop music. The feat. stuff. Hey you know what, fair do's he wants to be famous with his own band, creating new music, but why form a band when you know so many good ones that already exist and are happy just to play a song with you? You'll sell more anyway, instant fame! He puts together the music at home in his studio and then gets his mates to sing over the top, something many musicians do and have done for decades. However if his mates where mates from school, helen and jumbo you'd never hear most of this stuff, it's heard and known because he has famous friends who's name sells his singles. It seems a bit like cheating to me, but then again I name drop a fair bit to build my own reputation so I'm just as bad really.

So there you go, the confusion arises because he really has three different positions within the musical community, DJ, Producer and original artist. There are, in fairness many in the business like that but most do the third thing with a more advanced instrumental or vocal ability and don't rely on other artists to do that for them.

The lad's obviously got a good ear music wise and has hit on something that works for him with this feat stuff so fair play but it does seem a little like trying to get more more fame by hanging on the coat tails of the already famous.

To KK's point, the record industry has been like that now for decades a label will usually sign you for a number of albums and it's up to you to produce the goods once you get that deal, it is the same with many book publishers as well. Some people will fall flat on their faces with this kind of thing and some will thrive that's just down to the individual. Some musicians want to live that rock n roll lifestyle, some just love playing music and are happy to be paid for doing what they love.