Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Managerial Smokescreen!
Isn't it amazing how the smokescreen of the need for a new manager has blinded so many people.
All we read about now is Hoddle this, Carver that and Galtier Le other.
But the bigger, far more damning issues are still here and people need to keep their eyes open to them.

This may be yet another very convenient January sideshow for Ashley.
Everyone scurrying around trying to identify a new manager instead of trying to identify new players.
Lets not forget that in August we were all screaming out for a new striker and a new centre half.

That was when we had just signed Riviere and didn't even know what a complete and utter parcel of shite he was going to be.
That was when we had signed the international man of mystery that was Facundo Ferreyra, another striker on the books.
That was before we relied solely on a half fit Cisse to score the bulk of our goals before leaving for the ACON.
That was when we had 3 fit centre halves in Taylor, Williamson and Coloccinni plus Dummett as back up.

So this January, we have lost Cisse for a month, Ferreyra for good (I Know) and Taylor for the rest of the season.
We are sitting on 27 points and a similar run to last year would see us fail to reach the 40 point mark.
We have nobody to score goals for at least a month.
We have 2 recognised centre halves of whom neither are really playing that well to put it mildly.

That isn't just a cause for concern.
It's a cause for blind panic in my opinion.
Surely we need to focus the majority of our time and effort on ensuring that the players are brought in that we so desperately need.
The same players that we were desperate for in the summer prior to Taylors long term injury and Riviere's failure to even find his arse with both hands.

Dare I even suggest that the only thing occupying the heads of the powers that be more than a new manager and new players may well be player sales.
I won't even go there for fear of giving myself a massive bout of New Year depression.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
you're far too harsh with Riviere

wtf do you expect for £6m - pardews tactics have made a fool of a good few of our players who came very highly regarded elsewhere (Anita, Riviere, Cabella etc)

give them a chance man - another manager with half a fkin brain will be better than the twat we've just got rid of
Sometimes you see something in a player that tells you "he's got something"
Have you seen it yet?
Sometimes you watch a player on numerous occasions and see him getting steadily worse.
I'VE SEEN THAT.

New years day just summed it up perfectly for me.
Carver, to his credit, started with a formation totally suited to Riviere.
He was a lone striker, BUT he had 3 very willing runners and creators playing around him.
Perez, Sissoko and Gouffran (who I slaughter on a regular basis but he did well in the first half hour) ran the channels and every other part of the attacking 3rd.
All Riviere had to do was hold the ball up now and again and then get on the end of whatever decent ball came in to the box.
He had a free header from 6 yards and put it over the bar with the goal gaping like a whores fanny.
He had a ball rolled along the 6 yard line for a tap in and got it stuck under his feet.
With a natural goalscorer getting those chances we may well have won that game but we never had one and nearly lost it.

For all of the problems created by Pardew, Riviere isn't one of them.
You can't polish a turd.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
he was substituted in the 57th minute.

we went downhill from there.

poor coaching - and - despite what you say - he's had a lack of opportunities.

how many misses does Cisse rack up to get one goal?
get your head out of your arse and look at the glass half full for a change man
(05-01-2015, 02:47 PM)tattyheed Wrote: he was substituted in the 57th minute.

we went downhill from there.

poor coaching - and - despite what you say - he's had a lack of opportunities.

how many misses does Cisse rack up to get one goal?
get your head out of your arse and look at the glass half full for a change man

I agree that the team was worse when Riviere was taken off.
However, I don't see that as being a lot to do with what he did when on the pitch.
He did some of the simple things reasonably well for a man of his size and so he should.
But the problem was, he couldn't score.
They then replaced him with Armstrong and attempted to play the same way by hitting long balls in to him.
He won nothing and was made to look poor by the terrible tactics employed.
That was the telling factor for me, rather than Riviere's contribution.

Could a better coach and a change of confidence make him look a better player?
Personally I don't think it will but then that's just my opinion.
Maybe I am just more concerned that the goal scoring burden is now on a player who has failed to score in the every game that he has played in this season bar 1.

People may well talk about Cisse playing the lone role better.
But Riviere is physically better suited to it yet fails to do it.
People then defend him saying it's not his natural game.
So if he's not a natural hold up man, a natural goalscorer or natural target man, I would be intrigued to find out just what he has to offer.

I don't go out of my way to criticise players or attack peoples opinions or judgements.
They are generally just doing the same as myself and expressing their own views.
I guess they are just seeing something that I fail to see.
give him a chance (ie more than 60 minutes in one isolated game) - and he'll convince you otherwise.

did you not see the 2 goals he scored in the league cup earlier in the season?

BUT HE HAS TO HAVE A REASONABLE CHANCE
(05-01-2015, 04:59 PM)tattyheed Wrote: give him a chance (ie more than 60 minutes in one isolated game) - and he'll convince you otherwise.

did you not see the 2 goals he scored in the league cup earlier in the season?

BUT HE HAS TO HAVE A REASONABLE CHANCE

Yes, I did see them.
One was a penalty and the other a shot from the edge of the box.
Quite a weird one as it seemed to catch the keeper flatfooted as though it had been misshit.
Not having a go at him there mind, it just looks strange.

So basically what you are saying is that his non performances so far have been down to Pardew and that he will come good with different guidance.
Fair enough.

By the way, he played 90 minutes on Saturday as well and was woeful like the rest of the team.
Lack of service?
Wrong formation?
Cold and windy?
Nervous on his FA cup debut?
Them Leicester reserves are a tough bunch?

Sorry mate, only joking.
I just need to be proved wrong/convinced otherwise.
(05-01-2015, 01:33 PM)tattyheed Wrote: you're far too harsh with Riviere

wtf do you expect for £6m - pardews tactics have made a fool of a good few of our players who came very highly regarded elsewhere (Anita, Riviere, Cabella etc)

give them a chance man - another manager with half a fkin brain will be better than the tw*t we've just got rid of

Dunno about Anita but rivière and Cabella didn't have such a big reputation as far as I can tell. I live in France and I work in a pub and until they signed for us. I'm not saying they are bad or they didn't have a reputation elsewhere in France I'm just saying in Nantes they were non entities.
(05-01-2015, 01:47 PM)SirLes9 Wrote: He had a free header from 6 yards and put it over the bar with the goal gaping like a whores fanny.

This made me chuckle hah!
Charles Dickens has got nowt on me mate :D:D