Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Glasgow's Commonwealth Games
The TV coverage has just started - looking forward to the opening ceremony tonight and the ongoing coverage.

Glasgow is one of my favourite cities so really looking forward to the coverage.

Mick
Big Grin
(23-07-2014, 08:59 PM)Mick Wrote: The TV coverage has just started - looking forward to the opening ceremony tonight and the ongoing coverage.

Glasgow is one of my favourite cities so really looking forward to the coverage.

Mick
Big Grin

As soon as John barrowman came on singing in his put on Glaswegian accent i switched off!

:aaagh:
Aye Barrowman spoilt it - especially when he snogged that bloke.

WTF did they let him do that for?

The games are about sport - not about homosexuals snogging.

FFS!!

:hair:
As ever with these things, it was very drawn out and you lose interest by the end.
Not a great advert for Scotland in general when you have Susan Boyle forgetting her words and Rod Stewart croaking like a frog on acid.
there are a lot more Scottish acts and bands who could have done more for the show than those 2.
As for Barrowman, they did say he was born in Glasgow.
Never knew that, but then why would I?

As for the sports themselves, when does the beach volleyball start?
Not in the Commonwealth games!
Oh well, that's me losing interest already then.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
(24-07-2014, 07:52 AM)Mick Wrote: Aye Barrowman spoilt it - especially when he snogged that bloke.

WTF did they let him do that for?

The games are about sport - not about homosexuals snogging.

FFS!!

:hair:

Glad I switched off when I did! no need for that before the watershed!

Blush
i love Glasgow - i lived up there for 5 years - and two of my sons were born up there.

most of that ceremony was an embarrasment - but it was 'like the curates egg' (good in parts). i like the bit on St Georges Square, with all the punters joining in - that seemed true to life. HOWEVER - in all the time i lived up there - i never saw a Glaswegian in a kilt. They dont you know.
I hardly ever watch opening ceremonies - very tedious. 2012 was an exception.
I'm sure I'll watch a lot of the track and field, and bits of other stuff, but without the Yanks/Russians/Chinese etc etc it's hardly world class is it?
Does that sound too harsh? Hope folk understand what I mean..
"I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance." ee cummings, 1894-1962
I don't think it helps the cause when the world top athletics attraction Usaine Bolt decides he won't even compete apart from running the relay.

As you say Helen, the whole thing has very little appeal without the major world forces such as Russia, the USA and China.

Great for the host nation as a spectacle, but little there for the armchair fan.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
Daley Thompson summed it all up on the opening Night,

There is the Olympics they are the Pinnacle to an athletes Career, Then there's the World championships these are the next important event in an athletes career, For me the commonwealth comes below these?

HAh! Class, stating the obvious there then Daley!
[Image: 995049_679242925490526_4108622718784930870_n.jpg]