Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Egg Chasing this weekend!
I can never decide which is better, Rugby League or Union. In my opinion, in Union there's just too much emphasis on kicking and too many stoppages for petty infringements. With the League games there's a bit too much inevitability about the tackles. Players just seem to fall into them.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Ireland .. ever since the days of Ollie Campbell. And you just can't resist the green jerseys, can you?
We were forced to play Union at school and football was considered a bit inferior, so you had to be really bad at rugby to be allowed to play football in the first couple of years. I didn't like rugby except I could run fast with the ball in my hand. So I was always on the wing, often freezing to death.
I still support Ireland and Argentina a bit.
(07-03-2014, 02:22 PM)mickyquinnstache Wrote: I'm just a miserable sod. I'll probably join in. It'll be on in the pub anyway so no avoiding it!

the cl;oser it gets mate you will be watching it and getting stuck in to it .if england got to the final youd watch it wouldnt you ?

(07-03-2014, 02:26 PM)bluebayou Wrote: I can never decide which is better, Rugby League or Union. In my opinion, in Union there's just too much emphasis on kicking and too many stoppages for petty infringements. With the League games there's a bit too much inevitability about the tackles. Players just seem to fall into them.
I have a bit of a soft spot for Ireland .. ever since the days of Ollie Campbell. And you just can't resist the green jerseys, can you?
We were forced to play Union at school and football was considered a bit inferior, so you had to be really bad at rugby to be allowed to play football in the first couple of years. I didn't like rugby except I could run fast with the ball in my hand. So I was always on the wing, often freezing to death.
I still support Ireland and Argentina a bit.

do you live in ireland seb ?
DONT RENEW SEASON TICKETS ,DONT BUY SHIRTS ,DONT GO TO SPORTS DIRECT ,DONT GIVE THIS MAN ANY MORE MONEY .
No, but I used to stay there sometimes and the train used to go right alongside Lansdowne Road, which was the national stadium until recently.
I wasn't born in Newcastle either but have supported them passionately since I was about 5. As a child I used to be taken to away games sometimes by my father, as a treat, but it was a miserable experience as we always lost heavily and it was difficult to fight back the tears!
hope wales win in the rugby x
(07-03-2014, 10:03 PM)red Wrote: hope wales win in the rugby x

There's always one isn't there!

Come on England............Tongue
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
Erm....did I mention "Ireland"?

LOL!
I enjoy watching both codes.
With Union I don't understand all the rules, but console myself by watching tightly clad man-mountains jumping all over each other.
League I understand better, but agree its sometimes a bit predictable. I console myself by watching tightly clad man-mountains jumping all over each other.
:saint:
"I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance." ee cummings, 1894-1962
Why was the Murrayfield pitch in such terrible condition? How can we see the vast majority of Premiership matches played on what look like bowling greens yet rugby internationals had to play on such a churned up pitch?

The first half-was quite good but still had a bleak aspect to it - perhaps because of the time of day? The second-half was dire. That was the worst French team I can remember seeing but they still won (somehow).

What a contrast with Dublin. Bright breezy weather, open, flowing rugby (a bit one-sided at the end, admittedly) and a wonderful occasion for Brian O'Driscoll in his last home international.

I have to say I am tempted NOT to watch rugby for precisely the reason TinyClanger claims to like it.
Why do English fans sing 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"? It's a Negro spiritual, I just can't see the connection with Middlesex, somehow.

Listened to Hull v Sunderland instead, anyways.
(09-03-2014, 05:26 PM)bluebayou Wrote: Why do English fans sing 'Swing Low, Sweet Chariot"? It's a Negro spiritual, I just can't see the connection with Middlesex, somehow.

Listened to Hull v Sunderland instead, anyways.

Quote:Cut to Douai Abbey, Upper Woolhampton, Reading, England; a seminary for English boys founded by Cardinal Allen in 1568 in France, relocated to England in 1903. Run by Benedictine Monks, the Abbey has its own school which, in turn, has a rugby team. 'Swing Low Sweet Chariot' has long since been the song of the 1st-XV of the Douai rugby team. No one is now sure how this came to be, but it is not difficult to imagine how such a Gospel song, with its spiritual roots and connotations of 'escape and evasion' could prove to be a popular source of inspiration for young sportsmen in a Benedictine environment.

On 18th March 1988 a group of students from the Douai team attended the England V Ireland rugby match at Twickenham. They were bunched in front of the lower east stand. Whenever an England player was in with a chance of scoring the 'merry' band of students would pipe up with 'their' anthem. They delivered this with particular vigour when Nigerian-born wing Chris Oti ran in his first try for England. Inspired by the response and amusement of the spectators immediately around them the students struck up with added gusto as Chris Oti scored a second try. By the time the player, now on a roll, scored his try-hat trick the chorus reached such a crescendo that, seemingly, the whole of the England supporters joined in and an anthem was born.

There you go, this seems to be the generally accepted reason.
I agree it jars....it jars even more now I know this.
Chris Oti was black so lets sing a slave song? Subtle, huh?

I too watched the footie.
"I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance." ee cummings, 1894-1962