Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ian Watkins
Not too sure if anyone has followed the case around Ian Watkins, the former lead singer of the Lostprophets.

For those who don't know, he has been found guilty, and aslo pleaded guilty to child sex offences.
Some very disturbing stuff which for obvious reasons I won't go in to.

I have been a fan of the band for years and seen them in concert a few times, so I follow them on various social network sites.

Following the case, there have been many attacking other members of the group for doing nothing about it.
The concensus of some is that being in a band involves virtually living in eachothers pockets on a day to day basis therefore they must have known about his shocking lifestyle.

I'm a bit torn on this one as I can see both sides of the argument.
Yes, they are together all of the time when they have albums/tours on the go. So maybe they could have known about it.
Or, would he have been stupid enough to take that risk and confined his habits to time between albums etc?

As a band, they are more than likely finished as very few bands do a lot after the original front man has gone.
It could be a good thing if you take the view that they knew about it.
Slightly unfair on them if they didn'y though as their careers are now ruined.

Like I say, not a pleasant subject, but some people have been asking for more variation so there you have it.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
tbh I had never heard of them but have heard of the shocking news, i dont know much about the situation other than he should be left alone with some of the parents for a short period, then left to rot in hell :aaagh:
I agree 100% with what you say Gos.
There is no debate in crimes of this nature and they deserve the worst available punishment.
Sadly, punishments of such crimes in this country do not go far enough.

I do find it so difficult to get my head around these situations and the mentality of the perpetrators.

This man was the singer of a very successful band so could have enjoyed all of the trappings that go with it.
Beautiful girls included.

Just makes no sense at all.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
(28-11-2013, 01:32 PM)SirLes9 Wrote: I agree 100% with what you say Gos.
There is no debate in crimes of this nature and they deserve the worst available punishment.
Sadly, punishments of such crimes in this country do not go far enough.

I do find it so difficult to get my head around these situations and the mentality of the perpetrators.

This man was the singer of a very successful band so could have enjoyed all of the trappings that go with it.
Beautiful girls included.

Just makes no sense at all.

same here mate, unfortunately some men arent interested in girls beautiful or otherwise Sad

that is not a homophobic inference either
I saw this the other day and was astounded at the depravity, even though I have some insight into the subject.
The thing to remember is that when you say he could have had all the trappings of success
Quote:Beautiful girls included
the kind of crimes he has committed are not about sex or attractive women/men at all.
They are about power and control. THAT is what these individuals crave.

I have no idea if his fellow band members would have known about any of it. People who can manipulate others like this guy are very clever and very skilled, so chances are he hid it exceptionally well.
I read that the band had announced shortly before/after he was arrested that they had split-up, so maybe they could go on to future musical ventures.

What I find incredible in so many of these cases is the sentencing. Yesterday Gerry Adams's brother was sent down for abusing and raping his own daughter - 16 years (not enough) but apparently he will get 50% remission on that automatically, straight away. I spoke to Joe, the guy that runs the counselling organisation I volunteer for and he says this is totally standard procedure.
Beyond belief.

Hope no-one minds if I repeat contact details for SomeOne Cares:
Tel: 0191 257 8094 email: mail@someonecares.org.uk
Alternatively you can send us a private message on Twitter or Facebook:
Twitter
Facebook
Thanks.
"I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance." ee cummings, 1894-1962
In crimes like this when there is overwhelming evidence the death penalty should be given..End of.
Boom,boom,boom,boom.....boom,boom,boom,boom.
Never heard of him or the band until reading this thread.
Just read the BBC report.
Feel sick.