Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Boydie's on this day......
(21-01-2013, 10:39 PM)Mick Wrote:
(21-01-2013, 01:01 AM)Boydie Wrote: On this day...

Mon 20th Jan 1947

Sorry no football this day ever....but

In Glasgow Jimmy "Jinky" Smith was born.This player joined Newcastle from Aberbeen in July 1969 and played for the Toon until 1976.Opinions still differ about Smith.Few doubt he was superbly talented,but there were times when he appeared to lack discipline and commitment.

One of my all-time United heroes

What a player

He always seemed to be injured when my father took me to away games. A shame, as he was my favourite in that period.
I heard he was a taxi driver in Newcastle - is that true and is he still there?
On this day...

26th Jan 2008

Toon having lost in the League Cup to Arsenal in sept,suffer the same fate in the F.A Cup going down 3-0.On wed they were at the Emirates in the Premiership and would suffer,predictably the same scoreline.New manager Kevin Keegan clearly had more than a few problems to sort out.
On this day...

27th Jan 1951

An astonishing and dangerously overcrowded 67,596 were at St James' Park to see Newcastle beat Bolton Wanderers 3-2.In a thrilling game Wor Jackie scored twice and Bobby Mitchell once to see Newcastle into the 5th round of the F.A Cup.
On this day...

28th Jan 1956

Goals galore and controversy aplenty as Newcastle continued their defence of the F.A Cup with a 5-4 win over Fulham at Craven Cottage.The occasion was given added spice by the appearance of ex-Newcastle manager Duggie Livingstone,now in charge of Fulham.A good Fulham goal was disallowed,and a shoulder barge by Vic Keeble was controversially allowed to stand when it looked like a foul on the keeper,but Newcastle won through in the end.The goals were scored by Keeble (2),Jackie Milburn,Bob Stokoeand Tommy Casey.
On this day...

Sat 29th 1953

A barely distinguished performance by Newcastle as they beat lower division Brentford 3-2 at home in the 4th round of the F.A Cup.Most agreed that Brentford did enough to deserve a replay but Newcastle,although the twin threats of Milburn and Keeble were muted,we scored through Bill Curry,George Hannah and Bobby Mitchell.
On this day...

Jan 30th ........

Nothing in Toon history on this date.
On this day...

Mon 31st Jan 2011

Just before the transfer deadline Newcastle sold Andy Carroll to puddles for £35m.This piece of business appalled most supporters who remembered Chris Waddle,Peter Beardsley,Paul Gascoigne and even Andy Cole being sold in similar circumstances and led them to question whether Newcastle really wanted a good team or not.On the other hand £35m was "silly money",and maybe that money could've been put to good use.Carroll a local lad in any case was classed as high maintenance.
Whatever happened to Carroll?
(31-01-2013, 10:11 PM)pboromag Wrote: how many games has he actually played since he left us

How many games has he actually wanted to play for anyone else after being shoved out the door whilst fatboy was counting the £35M? huh?
(31-01-2013, 12:28 AM)Boydie Wrote: On this day...

Mon 31st Jan 2011

Just before the transfer deadline Newcastle sold Andy Carroll to puddles for £35m.This piece of business appalled most supporters who remembered Chris Waddle,Peter Beardsley,Paul Gascoigne and even Andy Cole being sold in similar circumstances and led them to question whether Newcastle really wanted a good team or not.On the other hand £35m was "silly money",and maybe that money could've been put to good use.Carroll a local lad in any case was classed as high maintenance.

Spuds? You sure Boydie? Dippers surely........Now changed to puddles ha ha ha....cheers Nige i had my cider eyes on.