Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Rangers Find A League?
Rangers' hopes that a newco club could be admitted straight back into the Clydesdale Bank Premier League are hanging by a thread after Hearts and Dundee United said they would vote against the move.

Full Story Clicky Here
Has there ever been any other similar cases anywhere before, where a club has come back as a new entity and entered the league structure anywhere other than right at the bottom?
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is AFC Wimbledon.
When the old team were uprooted like a franchise and moved to Milton Keynes, a new club was formed in the Wimbledon borough. (AFC)
I think they started off somewhere like the Isthmian league which is at the very bottom of the pyramid system.
They worked their way up to the football league the hard way.
Why should Rangers not do the same?
I doubt there are that many rungs to the ladder in Scotland so it may take about 5 years to reach the premiership.
During that time they will still make plenty money as their fans will support them no matter what.
It may just allow them to come back far stronger than they were before.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
I haven't followed all the ins and outs of this saga. I have heard some Scottish clubs suggest that they would welcome Celtic and Rangers playing in England as it would give the rest of the clubs a more level playing-field. Other people say that Scottish football cannot survive without the Old Firm.
An even worse scenario than domination by the Old Firm of 2 clubs is domination by 1 club with no competition for Celtic.
(22-06-2012, 01:55 PM)SirLes9 Wrote: Has there ever been any other similar cases anywhere before, where a club has come back as a new entity and entered the league structure anywhere other than right at the bottom?
When the old team were uprooted like a franchise and moved to Milton Keynes, a new club was formed in the Wimbledon borough. (AFC)
I think they started off somewhere like the Isthmian league which is at the very bottom of the pyramid system.
I doubt there are that many rungs to the ladder in Scotland so it may take about 5 years to reach the premiership.
During that time they will still make plenty money as their fans will support them no matter what.

Not quite the same situation I know but didn't some of the supporters from Man Utd form a new club when the Glazers took over?
I honestly think it will kill the SPL without Rangers in it. Without any competition for Celtic it's not worth the telly money.

How are they getting on with transferring players to the newco?
I just read about 1 player refusing to transfer
It the fans I feel sorry for.
my questions which way will Celtic vote
Just hypothetically (and I am not suggesting for a moment they should be allowed to join) ... if Rangers and Celtic were admitted to the English Championship, how many years do you think it would take them to challenge for a Top 4 place in the Premiership?
If they had Sky TV money to combine with their enormous fan bases, they are potentially huge clubs.
Also which of the 2 is potentially the bigger? As I understand it Celtic is already one of the very best supported trams worldwide. Is that because of the Catholic connection?
(22-06-2012, 01:55 PM)SirLes9 Wrote: Has there ever been any other similar cases anywhere before, where a club has come back as a new entity and entered the league structure anywhere other than right at the bottom?

Good example. Could see this happening completely.