Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Makems
Great to see Miggy back on form. He and Bruno ran the show, but great effort all round. 
If we had lost this the outlook for the rest of the season looked bleak. Man City game apart, maybe this will be a turning point.
Easiest win against the unwashed that I can remember

Beer
Go and get Phillips, we need to unlock Bruno to play further forward and have someone sitting deeper to cover the back 4. I like Miley, a really promising young lad, but the balance in the midfield doesn't work with Bruno, Longstaff and Miley as the 3. We looked better with Joelinton in there, but who knows what his injury is, and I also think Phillips would be a decent upgrade on Longstaff.

We looked more at it today, but Sunderland were shit, let's just hope the confidence from that can take us into a difficult few fixtures.
So nice not to have VAR, football back to football the way it should be played.
Longstaff possesses this property that is best called "slowness". You may think that being slow is a manifestation of a lack of speed, but in Longstaff's case, "slowness" is an actual thing. Slowness of thought and slowness of deed combine in this man to make him fucking useless and as long as there is a place for him in our side, we will never achieve anything. I've never seen a football player watch the ball roll past without the slightest flicker of reaction; fall over as soon as he feels the breath of an opponent on his neck; or look like he hates the ball with every fibre of his being as much as is encapsulated by the walking disaster that is Sean Longstaff. I've had enough of this poseur and can't wait to see the back of him.
(06-01-2024, 03:54 PM)Eeeeen Wrote: Longstaff possesses this property that is best called "slowness".  You may think that being slow is a manifestation of a lack of speed, but in Longstaff's case, "slowness" is an actual thing.  Slowness of thought and slowness of deed combine in this man to make him fucking useless and as long as there is a place for him in our side, we will never achieve anything.  I've never seen a football player watch the ball roll past without the slightest flicker of reaction; fall over as soon as he feels the breath of an opponent on his neck; or look like he hates the ball with every fibre of his being as much as is encapsulated by the walking disaster that is Sean Longstaff.  I've had enough of this poseur and can't wait to see the back of him.

ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL ROFL
[Image: IMG-3256.jpg]
The only thing I would say Eeeeen, despite agreeing in general that Longstaff looks sluggish both mentally and physically with the way he is playing, is that last season he was excellent for us, and I am not convinced he is remotely up to speed right now. He is one of those players who I think takes a long time to recover from injury, and when he is out of form, he is absolutely rank as he relies almost enitely on his engine to get about the pitch, break up the play etc. Right now his technical ability is what it always has been, limited, and his reading of the game is absolutely awful. He is struggling to pick up the pace of games and looking like a fish out of water. You look at both Burn and Longstaff today and see two positions so easily upgraded, we even have the upgrade sat on the bench in Burn's case, but Howe seems to have his favourites.

I'd love to see us go with Phillips in front of the back 4, with Joelinton in front of him covering the left centre/left channel and Bruno with a free role just on the right side of midfield, this would be a significant upgrade and allow us to control games better.

Just back onto the game briefly, Sunderland specifically, their obsession with Saudi Arabia is disturbing to say the least. I never understood the wider game's problem with us finally spendiing some of the money we were long overdue spending, providing we are operating within FFP, which the governing bodies will make sure of, then quietly shut the fuck up :) I don't remember anyone raising an eyebrow over 20-25 million for Almiron and 40 million for Joelinton, because we weren't a threat, now we are more of a threat, we only win because of the money, apparently...

Dubravka - circa 4 million
Schar - circa 3.5 million
Trippier - 12 million plus add ons
Burn - 13 million
Longstaff - 0
Miley - 0

Over half the starting 11 cost less than the average Premier League amount for those positions. Sure, we added some star dust from money that the club is allowed to spend, the difference now is we have owners who will spend it, vs the previous tyrant who wouldn't. Reading the post match analysis from a number of those sad, inbred toss pots, you'd think we had a 40 million + player in every single position, with the same again in reserve to take their place, you'd also think we were the only club in the league who had owners willing to spend. Their jealousy is really unhealthy.