Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's needed ?
I've got my own idea's but it would be interesting to hear what you lot think is actually needed to improve our squad for next season..... positions that need extra quality and also who needs to be shown the exit door.
My No1 priority is a proven goalscoring centre forward capable of staying fit for most of the season.

We also need a class centre half

And a pacy, dangerous right winger - Fraser is another one who is injury-prone, Almiron has no end product and Murphy has not developed into what is needed.

I’d also like to see us splash the cash and get Paqueta.

Also happy with Pope, he’s much better than Darlow.
Striker, winger, central midfielder and competition at centre back.

What it looks like we are going to have to do is box within financial fair play, and I have seen stories ranging from 80 million to 115 million this window. It gets more complicated when you factor in that payments can be split across multiple seasons, so just because a player costs 30 million, doesn't mean that comes entirely off the current budget. It's this constraint that I think will stop us signing a 40-50 million pound player without selling someone like ASM to fund it. When you look at the business that has been done so far, it has been superb. Targett 12 million, Pope 10 million, Trippier 15 million, Burn 13 million, Bruno looked steep at 40 million but has already shown if he keeps going the way he has started, he will be worth every penny. Great signings have been made since January, all of which make us a better squad.

We need way more end product from our creative players next season, the wide players we have currently simply don't produce enough goals, even though I like each of them for differing reasons. Fraser went a long way to making up for his poor start with his performances after Howe came in, ASM is a lot of fun to watch but his work ethic is pretty abysmal when you compare him with the players at the top clubs who have the skill and the attitude, and I love the work ethic of Almiron, but his assist and goal ratio speaks for itself. What will be interesting though is that none of these players have gone through a pre-season with Howe and his staff, and you can see the improvements in every single player since January, so maybe there is still a genuine first team future for Almiron and ASM. If Fraser can stay fit and continue his form, he is a real asset.

I love the business being done though, and i have genuine trust in those running the club to get this transfer window right.
Priority has got to be a goal scoring forward. As much as I love Wilson he simply doesn't play enough games. Another CB would be good but goals win games.