Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hugo Ekitike
Are we making a mistake chasing this lad?

Missed 3 months of last season with hamstring problems - and pulled up with the same thing yesterday 8 minutes into playing for France Under 20 side.

We don't need a striker whose injured half the time - we already have one of those......

huh?
There are so many red flags around this deal that I don't know where I sit with it. He didn't want to come in January, has been injured twice this season with big muscle injuries, he is only 19, he has limited professional experience and no Premier League experience, he isn't cheap and if you believe what some sources are saying, wants Champions League football. If you add all of that up, along with our checkered relationship with French players over the years and you'd be excused for running a mile.

However... the club have been watching him for months, he fits the bill in terms of character (if we believe what we are being told), he looks like an exciting prospect with a big future, he is quick and dynamic, able to play along the front line, and I now trust the new setup to get more right than they get wrong.

Maybe his injury last night was a return from a previous injury sooner than he should have been brought back, I'd be surprised though if it didn't raise a few eyebrows as we can't afford to be left with just Wood next season if Wilson and Ekitike both end up being injured for long spells.

It's a watch this space, he certainly won't be ready to start pre-season on July 1st if early reports are correct about it being his hamstring again, that might be the deal breaker with the way Howe likes to conduct pre-season.