Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chris Wood
Looks like we’re pinching Burnley’s big, old fashioned centre forward Chris Wood

On tyneside tonight for a medical after we took advantage of his £25m release clause in his contract

[Image: F59-F65-A1-800-A-4-A06-B37-D-93-E60700-A9-B3.jpg]
This will keep us in the league.

I have seen all sorts of negative comments around Wood, he is a beast in the air, he puts himself about and he will score goals.

For where we are, I am genuinely chuffed about this one!
Embarassing comments elsewhere, some of our fans need to shake their heads, who did they want, an unproven 19 year old for 45 million who has a fancy name?! Or Wood who is experienced in this league, can hit the ground running and will score goals.

Some people are clueless.
Totally agree with everything you’ve said above, Ghostie - he’s just what we need

And we aren’t anywhere near finished spending yet.

Happy times  Beer header Love
He's exactly what we need at this time. £20-25m is a lot for a 30 year old but its worth £100m if he keeps us in the league. Also pulls Burnleys teeth out.

Central defender and a creative midfielder and its looking better.
Everybody has to understand that we're extremely limited in who we can recruit while the threat of relegation hangs over us; top players don't want to play in the Championship.  I don't think some people amongst our support, with social-media accounts, get that.  For Chris Wood this is an out of the frying-pan and into another frying-pan kind of move, for most others it's a leap into a burning building; in those circumstances he would make a very good signing indeed.  (Do I win a 'Mangling Metaphors' prize for this?)
Not sure why people are reacting negatively about this. We all love Wilson. Wood has same or slightly better goal return over the last 4-5 seasons and is the same age. I'm hoping we play them together.

Neither one of them are long term solutions due to their age, but for the next couple of seasons they can do real damage.

If we do go down then the forward line is also guaranteed to fire us back up. No brainer really.
It's just people who think the real world of football operates like Football Manager. It always makes me laugh how you get a fancy foreign name, from a sub-standard league abroad, who hasn't had more than 1 season of football, and has a ridiculous price tag, and this seems to get people excited. Yet someone proven like Wood, who has been in relegation battles, who is competitive, scores goals and is far better suited to where we are at as a club, gets a negative, underwhelming reaction.

I've read some absolutely crazy stuff. I've heard everything from signing Mitrovic again for 30 million (unbelievably, not an isolated opinion) would be a better signing, read one comment saying they would rather the 25 million have been spent on wages to get Martial on loan until the end of the season... thankfully I am not on Twatter as my brain would explode trying to respond to some of the comments. Imagine thinking Mitrovic, who has failed for multiple clubs and mulitple managers at this level, who was more interested in getting sent off and beating his chest than scoring goals, would be a better signing than a player who has succeeded for 5 years at the very level we need him to perform at.

The mind boggles.
(12-01-2022, 12:04 PM)Eeeeen Wrote: Everybody has to understand that we're extremely limited in who we can recruit while the threat of relegation hangs over us; top players don't want to play in the Championship.  I don't think some people amongst our support, with social-media accounts, get that.  For Chris Wood this is an out of the frying-pan and into another frying-pan kind of move, for most others it's a leap into a burning building; in those circumstances he would make a very good signing indeed.  (Do I win a 'Mangling Metaphors' prize for this?)

And this month’s “mangling metaphors” award goes to…..

(Obligatory 10 second pause for effect…..)

Mr Eeeeen

notworthy
(12-01-2022, 04:54 PM)Mick Wrote:
(12-01-2022, 12:04 PM)Eeeeen Wrote: Everybody has to understand that we're extremely limited in who we can recruit while the threat of relegation hangs over us; top players don't want to play in the Championship.  I don't think some people amongst our support, with social-media accounts, get that.  For Chris Wood this is an out of the frying-pan and into another frying-pan kind of move, for most others it's a leap into a burning building; in those circumstances he would make a very good signing indeed.  (Do I win a 'Mangling Metaphors' prize for this?)

And this month’s “mangling metaphors” award goes to…..

(Obligatory 10 second pause for effect…..)

Mr Eeeeen

notworthy

I'm very honoured etc. etc.

I'd like to thank my agent etc. etc.

But most of all blah blah blah

Thank you.