Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Antonio Conte
Top manager

Won loads of silverware

EPL experience with Chelski

Currently on the dole

Maybe if we offer to stop putting pineapple on Pizzas he could be tempted?

Mick
I just don't think we are anywhere near ready for Conte. He usually goes into well established clubs who already have a competitive squad for the top end of their division. Conte is the type of manager I can see us going for in 3 or 4 years time after the squad has been rebuilt and when the owners want to take the next step, providing we have managed to have suucess along the way.

The more I have thought about him coming in at this stage, the more I have gone off the idea, and as much as I don't like Brendan Rodgers the person, I think he would be a great appointment with a bit of backing, to kick off the "project".
Well apparently Conte is interested after all. 

He has asked just what is the remit of the job.

I'd be happy with him coming in as long as he's happy with how slowly things will be done. let's face it this is a monumental rebuild.
Look at his last 4 jobs:

Inter Milan - 2 years
Chelsea - 2 years
Italy - 2 years
Juventus - 3 years

I am big fan of Conte, I just don't see him interested in a project, and nothing in his managerial career to date points to him wanting one.

I would have thought a Director of Football route would be the way to go, then we don't have 3 managers in 6 years, all rehashing the squad every time it doesn't work out. Being realistic, things will go wrong, it's going to take years to get us back at the European end of the table, I hope that is what they build for and it isn't just a big name for big names sake. There is scope to do this right and still give us the progress we seek on the pitch, as supporters.
I'm not sure the above is actually totally accurate if you read this:

Antonio Conte speaking in June: 

"I look for projects instead, it has to do with vision, honesty and principles. I like challenges and I’ve accepted many of them during my career. Even the top clubs I coached were never the favourites when I first arrived."
If he looks for projects though Mick, why have his last 3 jobs all ended in 2 years each, and why has he cherry picked clubs in a position to win major honours and spend big money from the off? The last 3 domestic clubs he has managed have all had a win percentage > 62%, taking this job on would be a big deviation from the last 10 years of his managerial career.

I think there is a big difference between the top clubs he has joined not being the favourites at the time he took over, and then taking over a job like this one, where the squad isn't even close to a European spot. Just look at the squad of players he had at Inter and Chelsea, genuine Champions League squads, in need of a new voice but not in need of a new squad to make them compete for anything at the right end of the table.

I think he is a great coach, and I would love him here if he is genuinely in it for the long haul, I'd just be very surprised if he wants to inherit this squad of players and a team in the relegation zone. Maybe he has changed his mind at this stage in his career having won a lot at previous clubs, and maybe in June he had already made contact with Amanda Staveley over this takeover, I guess we will find out the answer to these questions shortly.
(11-10-2021, 01:50 PM)GhostfaceKillah Wrote: If he looks for projects though Mick, why have his last 3 jobs all ended in 2 years each, and why has he cherry picked clubs in a position to win major honours and spend big money from the off? The last 3 domestic clubs he has managed have all had a win percentage > 62%, taking this job on would be a big deviation from the last 10 years of his managerial career.

I think there is a big difference between the top clubs he has joined not being the favourites at the time he took over, and then taking over a job like this one, where the squad isn't even close to a European spot. Just look at the squad of players he had at Inter and Chelsea, genuine Champions League squads, in need of a new voice but not in need of a new squad to make them compete for anything at the right end of the table.

I think he is a great coach, and I would love him here if he is genuinely in it for the long haul, I'd just be very surprised if he wants to inherit this squad of players and a team in the relegation zone. Maybe he has changed his mind at this stage in his career having won a lot at previous clubs, and maybe in June he had already made contact with Amanda Staveley over this takeover, I guess we will find out the answer to these questions shortly.

Agree.

However his full statement was:

"I look for projects instead, it has to do with vision, honesty and principles. I like challenges and I’ve accepted many of them during my career. Even the top clubs I coached were never the favourites when I first arrived." 
"To be honest though I've waited my entire career to work with Jeff Hendrick, so Mandy give is a ring".
Haha, can you imagine someone trying to explain to a manager who hasn't heard of him before, exactly what tyoe of player he is...

"He can't defend and he can't attack, he also gives the ball away a lot, they actually signed him on a free transfer from a relegation rival too..."

It's okay though, Bruce always wanted to work with a player of Hendrick's calibre.