Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wolves (h)
Another inept tactical display where you didn't know what the team was trying to do, other than get the ball to ASM and hope that he can somehow trick his way into the box and get a shot off. I watched the game with my Dad, and I have read half time reports and listened to the clueless clown himself, but we both thought that the first half was just a case of Wolves not turning up, rather than us doing anything special, I thought we were average at best in the first 45 minutes. Bare in mind this is a Wolves team who were away from home in Europe on Thursday night, and had to come from behind, and yet the second half they had us pinned in at times and dominated the game, we were absolutely abysmal in the 2nd half.

We have a huge problem up front, and I don't just mean Joelinton, everything about the way we attack is just wrong. Joelinton is completely isolated and has been for most of the season, who on earth looks at the way we play and thinks that Gayle or Carroll coming in would actually change anything?! If we attacked with conviction and actually got into good scoring positions, and Joelinton wasn't doing it, then fine, but what does anyone expect him to do playing with the setup we have at the minute? I can confidently predict that absolutely nothing will change by just switching Joelinton out, there has to be a change of approach throughout the team, but then to have a change of approach and be successful, you need a decent manager, and we don't have one, we have an absolute sham, masquerading as a Premier League coach.

It's an easy thing to throw at a team who lost, but where is the coaching?! The players don't look like they know what to do, there doesn't appear to be a plan. I read some opinion this morning that the reason for this isn't Bruce's fault, it is Rafa's fault for having an ultra defensive side for 3 seasons! Haha, you can't make it up, Bruce is like a cockroach, nothing can touch him, and no matter how sh*t he is, there always appears to be an excuse ready for him. We know this group of players is better than this, they have shown it over the last 2 years, without anywhere near the budget that Bruce got this summer, you know why? A decent manager who on the training pitch, coached the players how to play in the system he wanted to use.

None of this is rocket science, I just can't wait to see the back of Bruce, he is fecking USELESS.
Well said Ghostie - pretty much how I feel at the moment, and I suspect many other fans too.

I'll put your post on the blog (might need to make a few subtle changes here and there to avoid us getting hoyed off Newsnow though  ROFL )

Bruce is clearly living on and benefitting from what is left of Rafa's well-drilled defensive set up.

I think up front, I'd still like to see Muto given a fair chance as a No10.  But really....we lack a top goalscorer or even a Rondon standard one.

We've got players with pace but no end product. 

It's the job of the manager and his coaches to organise things so that we use this pace to maximum benefit - but they also need to have a clue about how to score some goals - and at the moment they look clueless and rudderless.

Mick
Whilst I have some symphony for Joelinton as he is a young lad with a huge price tag on his shoulders and was expected to hit the ground running, was this one of the reasons Rafa didn't want him? and could he of made better use of the £40 million this I'm afraid we will never know. There is talk that perhaps he is lonely as his Wife & Kids have yet to move over here and also there is not a big Brazillian community in the TOON or the North East. 

Whilst he was at Hoffenheim they had former goalkeeper Julio Cesar there who looked after their South American players and helped them settle in not using this as an excuse but with the tactical nouse or should I say lack off by Bruce this could have a bearing on his undoutable tallent, because  he is like a fish out of water with no back up when going forward another one of Bruce's lack of vision I'd personally would be inclined to give Shelvy a run out and give him orders to ping the ball to Joe to make the runs he used to make whilst at Hoffenheim. Let's all be honest here Joelinton was Ashleys buy thinking that he can make a few quid on this player and despite my hatred of Ashley I hope the kid does well and perhaps we will reap the rewards next season when he has had time to settle if it is not too late by then and we are in the Chumpionship.

ASHLEY OUT!!!!!!  Hoffenheim
"Everyones Got To Believe In Something. I Believe Ill Have Another Beer" W C Fields.
Without wishing to have a go at anybody, where does this notion of Joelinton's "undoubtable" talent come from?  His goal scoring record doesn't suggest that he is undoubtedly a talented goalscorer and nothing else I've seen him do in a Newcastle shirt suggests his talents lie elsewhere.  This is a genuine question because I'm beginning to feel that I must be missing something.
(29-10-2019, 01:51 PM)Eeeeen Wrote: Without wishing to have a go at anybody, where does this notion of Joelinton's "undoubtable" talent come from?  His goal scoring record doesn't suggest that he is undoubtedly a talented goalscorer and nothing else I've seen him do in a Newcastle shirt suggests his talents lie elsewhere.  This is a genuine question because I'm beginning to feel that I must be missing something.

He was bought by fat lad as a future gravy train as reports were coming out that he was something special yes we have not seen it yet however we are not set up to play to his strengths he is left isolated at the top of the pitch with no cover or back up the stats whilst at Hoffenheim make interesting reading in the 18/19 season he played 28 league games and scored 7 and making 5 assists he also played 5 times in the Champions League scoring 1, this is why I believe he has undoutable talent for young lad have you watched any of the youtube      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMNtxgbQEvI yes as I have said he is still raw but I still think he has something to offer which a better coach could exploit.

ASHLEY OUT!!!!
"Everyones Got To Believe In Something. I Believe Ill Have Another Beer" W C Fields.
A proper manager would organise the team to play to our main striker's strengths.

The problem isn't Joelinton.

The problem is "Doris from Corbridge"

Mick
(29-10-2019, 01:51 PM)Eeeeen Wrote: Without wishing to have a go at anybody, where does this notion of Joelinton's "undoubtable" talent come from?  His goal scoring record doesn't suggest that he is undoubtedly a talented goalscorer and nothing else I've seen him do in a Newcastle shirt suggests his talents lie elsewhere.  This is a genuine question because I'm beginning to feel that I must be missing something.

Exactly. THE ONLY league he was ever prolific in was the Austrian Bundesliga, and not to say anything about that league, it is closer to League One than the Championship when compared against teams in England. He was never and has never been a goalscorer. Well said to bring up this point Eeeeen.
(29-10-2019, 08:53 PM)Mick Wrote: A proper manager would organise the team to play to our main striker's strengths.

The problem isn't Joelinton.

The problem is "Doris from Corbridge"

Mick

This is also a good point. Regardless of how good or how not good a player is, a proper manager can make a difference, a big difference. Most top managers would have benched Joelinton by now quite honestly.
Benched him for who?! Another player who can be placed in the exact same position, facing hopelessly launched balls towards his neck, with no one running in behind him to get to any flick on balls he might be able to provide?

We know he isn't a 40 million pound player, Benitez was asked earlier in the year what he thought he was worth and he said 20 million, which is about right. The only person to blame for the price tag is Ashley, so that has to be taken out of the equation when levelling criticism at the lad. Secondly, for a young player in a new league, in a team playing sh*t football, with one of the worst managers in its history, he has actually shown that given some service, he can gold up the ball and lay it off to other players. He actually has some neat touches, and in a more progressive team who worked the ball up the pitch as a unit, I can see he would provide a decent value. Everyone now is judging him based on the football we are playing, and not him as a footballer, and you can't judge it on him as a footballer, as the only type of player who can (barely) flourish in this system is an ASM, as he can carry the ball with his pace. You put Rondon in this team and he would be in the same position as Joelinton, and yet Rondon proved he was a very competent hold up number 9 under a manager who played to his strengths.

Look at our entire forward line, no shots on goal at all in multiple games this season, no chances created from most of the team in multiple games this season, our possession stats are an absolute embarassment, even Brighton came and passed us off the pitch, we had 28% possession that game, 28 at home to Brighton!!! What the hell is Joelinton supposed to do in a Steve Bruce team playing dismal football when he is trying to pluck balls down from the average cruising height of a 747?! These are our possession stats in the last 5 games:

Wolves - 43%
Chelsea - 28%
Man Utd - 31%
Leicester - 31%
Brighton - 28%

Those crying for him to be benched are missing the real problem, the real problem is Bruce, he is absolutely atrocious, a sham of a manager, a useless coach and an embarassment to the club. Those wanting Joelinton swapped out will no doubt get their wish soon, you'll also get another player hopelessly lost up front, not supported by the team and not able to show what he can do because we have no game plan, no strategic way of playing up the pitch and no sign of this changing until we get rid of Bruce.

Joelinton is not the problem.
(30-10-2019, 09:35 AM)GhostfaceKillah Wrote: Benched him for who?! Another player who can be placed in the exact same position, facing hopelessly launched balls towards his neck, with no one running in behind him to get to any flick on balls he might be able to provide?

We know he isn't a 40 million pound player, Benitez was asked earlier in the year what he thought he was worth and he said 20 million, which is about right. The only person to blame for the price tag is Ashley, so that has to be taken out of the equation when levelling criticism at the lad. Secondly, for a young player in a new league, in a team playing sh*t football, with one of the worst managers in its history, he has actually shown that given some service, he can gold up the ball and lay it off to other players. He actually has some neat touches, and in a more progressive team who worked the ball up the pitch as a unit, I can see he would provide a decent value. Everyone now is judging him based on the football we are playing, and not him as a footballer, and you can't judge it on him as a footballer, as the only type of player who can (barely) flourish in this system is an ASM, as he can carry the ball with his pace. You put Rondon in this team and he would be in the same position as Joelinton, and yet Rondon proved he was a very competent hold up number 9 under a manager who played to his strengths.

Look at our entire forward line, no shots on goal at all in multiple games this season, no chances created from most of the team in multiple games this season, our possession stats are an absolute embarassment, even Brighton came and passed us off the pitch, we had 28% possession that game, 28 at home to Brighton!!! What the hell is Joelinton supposed to do in a Steve Bruce team playing dismal football when he is trying to pluck balls down from the average cruising height of a 747?! These are our possession stats in the last 5 games:

Wolves - 43%
Chelsea - 28%
Man Utd - 31%
Leicester - 31%
Brighton - 28%

Those crying for him to be benched are missing the real problem, the real problem is Bruce, he is absolutely atrocious, a sham of a manager, a useless coach and an embarassment to the club. Those wanting Joelinton swapped out will no doubt get their wish soon, you'll also get another player hopelessly lost up front, not supported by the team and not able to show what he can do because we have no game plan, no strategic way of playing up the pitch and no sign of this changing until we get rid of Bruce.

Joelinton is not the problem.

Agree 100%.  They won't bullet Bruce though until its far too late.