Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Man Utd (h)
(06-10-2019, 07:45 PM)Eeeeen Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 06:52 PM)cg40k Wrote: yeah Maximin was the biggest threat all game. basically if we were attacking he was involved. I really think fitting him, Almiron, and Atsu in the starting lineup would work wonders. That pace would be very hard to handle if we are going to sit back and counter attack. However Im starting to wonder if Carroll wouldnt be better starting up top than Joelinton.

My preferred at THIS VERY MOMENT (subject to change with this team right now)

Dubravka
Kraft Schar Lascelles Willems
Longstaff x 2
Maximin Almiron Atsu
Carroll

Krafth?  You must be joking; even Yedlin looks a more accomplished player than him, as does Manquillo.

Im not. I like Krafth better than Yedlin andd Manquillo. Yedlin has always been a weak point on the squad and Maquillo was good under Benitez. Both should look more accomplished being as both have been playing in the Premier League and Krafth has only had 6 matches.
(06-10-2019, 07:47 PM)Mick Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 06:52 PM)cg40k Wrote: yeah Maximin was the biggest threat all game. basically if we were attacking he was involved. I really think fitting him, Almiron, and Atsu in the starting lineup would work wonders. That pace would be very hard to handle if we are going to sit back and counter attack. However Im starting to wonder if Carroll wouldnt be better starting up top than Joelinton.

My preferred at THIS VERY MOMENT (subject to change with this team right now)

Dubravka
Kraft Schar Lascelles Willems
Longstaff x 2
Maximin Almiron Atsu
Carroll

Wouldn't argue with that team - at home

But away from home....as was proven today, we defend much better with Rafa's defensive set-up of 3 central defenders and mobile wing-backs.

Think we now have some depth in the squad too, which is no bad thing. Carroll - and even Gayle - as options up front are a welcome development that gives us both options as well as cover for injuries.

Mick

Honestly I dont think it matters at home or not. Considering we allowed 8 goals playing with Rafa's system in 7 I guess I understand sticking with the system. But only because when he changed to a 4-4-1-1 we allowed 5  LOL! LOL!
Its good to have enough of a squad so we can have discussions like that about one position!

In the past it was more like “x is crap, but who else have we got?”

Big Grin

Mick
Absolutely buzzing about today's result and i won't take anything away from the players who carried the can for last weeks debacle. The Longstaff lads were great and delighted about Matty's debut and goal. Shelvey is our highest paid midfielder and he needs to look over his shoulder.

But i refuse to get carried away as i believe that any team at home would've had a fair crack at that lacklustre manure side today.

Not slamming Joelinton just yet but he offers little and maybe he needs to be dropped for either Gayle, Muto or Carroll until he flags.
Great result and desperately needed, but I am going to that person...

... I honestly don't think we played as well as people are making out. Manure were absolutely awful and posed no threat at all, they were arguably the worst side we have played at home in the last few years. I can't remember coming up against a team as bad as they were in a long time. Even Watford gave us more trouble.

We needed the win but the same problems will exist when we come back from the international break, we look shocking in the attacking 3rd and I don't see how we rectify that under the current manager.
(07-10-2019, 02:08 AM)Boydie Wrote: Absolutely buzzing about today's result and i won't take anything away from the players who carried the can for last weeks debacle. The Longstaff lads were great and delighted about Matty's debut and goal. Shelvey is our highest paid midfielder and he needs to look over his shoulder.

But i refuse to get carried away as i believe that any team at home would've had a fair crack at that lacklustre manure side today.

Not slamming Joelinton just yet but he offers little and maybe he needs to be dropped for either Gayle, Muto or Carroll until he flags.

Yeah agreed. Lets not be fooled bc we beat a winless in 8 Manure side. But lets for sure enjoy it  Beer
(07-10-2019, 08:38 AM)GhostfaceKillah Wrote: Great result and desperately needed, but I am going to that person...

... I honestly don't think we played as well as people are making out. Manure were absolutely awful and posed no threat at all, they were arguably the worst side we have played at home in the last few years. I can't remember coming up against a team as bad as they were in a long time. Even Watford gave us more trouble.

We needed the win but the same problems will exist when we come back from the international break, we look shocking in the attacking 3rd and I don't see how we rectify that under the current manager.

Agree completely GhostfaceKillah. They were piss poor and we barely beat them. If we had even one proficient goal scorer we would have at least dropped 3 on them.
(07-10-2019, 08:38 AM)GhostfaceKillah Wrote: Great result and desperately needed, but I am going to that person...

Agree 100%

It was good to see the two local lads in the middle but manure are dog shyte at the minute.  They look to be in the relegation mix to me?

Joelinton - not a £40m player.  He's okay but not worth what we paid.
Almiron - runs round a lot.  Has he been Pardewed?
ASM - Looks full of promise on the ball but actually creates nothing.  No end product.  Modern day Franz Carr
Carroll - needs to start until he gets injured again.  Bruce won't have balls to drop Joelinton though
Longstaff's - need to start every game

What we need is goals.  Still think Gayle is our best bet.
(07-10-2019, 02:05 PM)mickyquinnstache Wrote:

Agree 100%

It was good to see the two local lads in the middle but manure are dog shyte at the minute.  They look to be in the relegation mix to me?

Joelinton - not a £40m player.  He's okay but not worth what we paid.
Almiron - runs round a lot.  Has he been Pardewed?
ASM - Looks full of promise on the ball but actually creates nothing.  No end product.  Modern day Franz Carr
Carroll - needs to start until he gets injured again.  Bruce won't have balls to drop Joelinton though
Longstaff's - need to start every game

What we need is goals.  Still think Gayle is our best bet.

Your probably right on Gayle honestly.
Unless the Longstaff brothers can get the ball of the defence and pass through the lines, Gayle is a waste of space unfortunately. I actually feel sorry for Joelinton at the minute. Early on he looked like he wasn't willing to put hs weight about as much as a guy his size should do. Now he looks like he is doing that, has some decent hold up play, but then drops deep because all that happens is that the ball is lumped from back to front so quickly that he needs to be in those deeper areas to either bring the ball down, or flick it onto someone beyond him. Under Bruce we have no chance with getting away without a Joelinton or Carroll in the side, we don't pass the ball well enough to afford a slight of build striker who runs in behind, because the ball would never be far enough up the pitch to make use of him. I also think he did more than Carroll did, whether that changes with game time and fitness for Carroll is anyone's guess, but analysing them both at the minute, I'd pick Joelinton.

Let's be real though, Joelinton, Carroll or even Gayle, if we continue with this hopeless punting the ball and chasing it, we could have Ronaldo up front and it wouldn't make a difference. The philosophy of the team is all wrong. Bruce has already hinted he doesn't have the players at his disposal to play the way he wants, but we actually have some okay ball players in the side, they are just being made to look like dummies by Bruce's ancient and non-existent tactics. He has been at the club a few months now, and the only two decent results we have picked up were using the same tactics that Rafa used, anything Bruce has tried simply hasn't worked, and we have ended up playing some of the worst football I have ever seen us play.

If Bruce has half a brain, he goes back to 5-3-2/3-5-2, he works on playing through midfield and make the most of Almiron and Saint-Maximin running in behind who ever the main striker is. The players available are no where near as bad as some of the performance have suggested, sure, they are not a top half of the table squad, but they actually have the makings of an okay Premier League side that with the right tactical approach, would be hard to beat... ala, Rafa Benitez. Whether Bruce wants to swallow his pride or not, if he goes with his supposedly "more attacking approach" (who the feck is he kidding?) we are going to end up getting relegated. If he is willing to implement the type of game Rafa implemented, we stand a chance of staying up.

I really won't hold my breath though, I expect we will be back lambasting him shortly after the international break, praying for him to get sacked.