Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's needed ?
With the current plight of this side and no sign of any improvement what do you all think we need to have added to this squad of players in January to save our season ?
(30-09-2018, 12:06 AM)Boydie Wrote: With the current plight of this side and no sign of any improvement what do you all think we need to have added to this squad of players in January to save our season ?

Hi Boyde without stating the obvious (New Owner) we desperately need a proven goal scorer and if we are flush with money ha ha ha a left sided wing back as Kenedy is not a defender or a defensive midfielder we struggle game after game to pass the ball without losing it if we can get passed that magical figure of making three passes without losing the ball we may be halfway there. I think the players at the moment don't have the mindset to go all out and win the game is this because of Rafa's cautious defensive approach? to hit them on the counter I just don't think we have the quality players to play that way we need to spend big but that won't happen not while the fat boy is in charge. Sorry for being so negative but I'm just totally Pissed Off.

ASHLEY OUT!!!
"Everyones Got To Believe In Something. I Believe Ill Have Another Beer" W C Fields.
Depth in general. We have one natural leftback in Dummet so i would say that is priority number one. A new forward would be great, but its always difficult to tell how they will do in the EPL if they come from overseas, and if they come from England, whether they will do well at the Toon. Also proven goalscorers are EXPENSIVE. A good left winger would be good as well. I dont rate Kenedy, dont think Atsu is good enough, so would like to see someone there.
I'd personally settle for a top end striker which would have to double our transfer record (which isn't much) as that would mean about £34m which this day and age we'd still struggle to get top draw........ and a modern LB that can play the PL way .... with plenty of pace to get forward and get back to cover..... Nowt much.... over to you Ashley.
HAHA yeah I couldnt see Ashley spending 34M on anyone! One option could be to look at a top Championship goalscorer. But as we know, Gayle who is excellent in the Championship, isnt so great in the PL. Also look at what happened to Plea. A top striker by everyones standard and he chose Borussia Moncanglabach over us. Whether this was due to wages or whatnot, who knows, but he turned down the PL for the Bundesliga.

LB is a bigger concern IMO. You can go two ways, a modern LB that is box to box, pacy, and can cross for days, or a defensive big LB who acts more as a CB. The second option would probably be better for us because of Yedlin, who is more of a WB than a RB, and bc Rafa is so defensive. Those can be tough to find bc of the skill set though. Kenedy back there isnt going to work ever IMO because he likes to be on the ball so much.
To be honest the club is rotten to the core.

The owner, MD, "PR Dept" are all at best clueless, at worst malicious.

Rafa is playing too defensive and seems to have lost the motivation skills he had last year. The players aren't performing for him, probably as they know he's bailing at the end of the season.

What do we need? New attack, midfield, wingers, full backs. New owner who actually cares. £100m investment in January, to be spent well on properly researched players. Yeah right thats going to happen!!
(01-10-2018, 03:20 PM)mickyquinnstache Wrote: To be honest the club is rotten to the core.

The owner, MD, "PR Dept" are all at best clueless, at worst malicious.

Rafa is playing too defensive and seems to have lost the motivation skills he had last year.  The players aren't performing for him, probably as they know he's bailing at the end of the season.

What do we need?  New attack, midfield, wingers, full backs.  New owner who actually cares.  £100m investment in January, to be spent well on properly researched players.  Yeah right thats going to happen!!

This is probably dead on.