Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chelsea (H)
It's been very entertaining watching Chelsea, or at least Eden Hazard, playing some lovely football; somewhat less so watching Newcastle United trying to stop them, even if it has been effective, so far.  Ultimately Rafa is going to have decide if he really wants to get the best out of his squad of players or if he's going to continue to highlight its shortcomings.  Either way, anything at all out of this match would be an (unlikely), achievement against a very, very good side.
We got exactly what we deserved with a set up like that with the added bonus of the humiliation of having done it and lost, which was an entirely predictable outcome.  Rafa needs to get his fecking act together and stop playing to our weaknesses, come to terms with the fact that Mike Ashley is a cnut and get on with trying to win football matches.  I'm deeply concerned that the list of opposing teams where he deems it necessary for us to take a cautious and negative approach grows longer as each weekend's results roll in.
That was never a penalty.
And after another great goal by Joselu (FFS!) it hurt to concede in such a soft way.
Still mulling it over - be interesting to hear what everyone else thinks.

Mick
I think you have a point Eeeeen, but perhaps if Lascelles and Shelvey had been available, we would have seen Rafa set up with more intent. 
However, even with a defensive formation, we were only beaten by a penalty that never was, and an individual error by a player who was a contender for man of the match! 
I think we were unlucky today.  feck
"The club can never go anywhere under Mike Ashley. I promise you that." Kevin Keegan.
I don't have a problem with playing defensive at home, but you can't play THAT defensive, with no counter attacking option, regardless of who is fit or who you have in your squad. That was poor, really really poor. The fans only really started singing around 80 minutes after the equaliser and you can see why, what on earth is there to get vocal about when you are sat watching that dross?! I haven't had a season ticket for years so I can't speak on behalf of those who do turn up, but I am glad I am not one of those who had to endure that in the stadium today, it was absolutely dire.

On the back of a really poor performance against Cardiff from Rafa down to the players, we needed to show something today, something more than we did. It was a game of attack vs defence where until we went 1-0 down never looked like scoring in a million years. Yes it wasn't a penalty, but if you are going to sit 9 behind the ball and have your only outlet miles away from his midfield players, with the standard of refereeing in the Premier League, there is always a chance you will get a dodgy decision against you. I fear more for the City game as they have players who will take shots on from outside the box, and if we line up like that, we are going to be looking at another embarrassing performance and another nailed on defeat.

Long term it goes back to what has been said time and time again, until we empty the ground, quit spending money in and around the club, as well as boycotting any Ashley owned shops... and maybe suffer another relegation, we will not get rid of the fat feck who owns the club. Is Ashley entirely to blame for us having 10% possession in the second half? No. However games like this when you look at the two squads on offer, we are probably as far behind Chelsea as we ever have been, and we are still making a net profit from transfer windows. The match going fans have to ask themselves what they really want here. Under Rafa we are going to get the team setting up like that time and time again against the big teams, but ultimately would you sacrifice Rafa for someone who will open us up every game?! It's an interesting question as I am sure there will be fans who would rather lose that sort of game having a real go, rather than go down with a whimper like we did.

Come the end of this season we are going to find out anyway. Rafa will not sign a new contract so we are going to be looking at a new manager coming in. Knowing that and knowing that there are 3 worse teams than us in the league, I'd like to see us have a go against the bigger teams regardless. It's pointless wanting Rafa to open up as it isn't his style, neither is 5 at the back with no attempt to win the game. I think there is a middle ground to be found. We don't have such a poor squad that we have to resort to playing like that, there isn't really an excuse to line up against anyone with no real plan to attack and win the game.

One thing is for sure, supporting Newcastle is becoming a bloody miserable experience once again. The second half of last season gave me hope that we could give everyone a game on our day and put up a respectable fight in the league. Right now though it is a thoroughly depressing watch and I don't see a real end in sight. Football is a hobby, we watch it for enjoyment, and regardless of what side of the fence you find yourself on, I don't think anyone could argue that what we watched today could be classed as a form of entertainment. For 80 minutes it was a torturous watch and I think Rafa owes the fans something better than the performance we saw today when we are the home team.
(26-08-2018, 06:15 PM)Mick Wrote: That was never a penalty.
And after another great goal by Joselu (FFS!) it hurt to concede in such a soft way.
Still mulling it over - be interesting to hear what everyone else thinks.

Mick

I agree it was no penalty and that it was a cracking goal by Joselu.  I will also say that for 15-20 minutes a football match broke out at St. James' Park, that we drew 1-1 against a very good Chelsea side.  Because we played them at football.  What had preceded that from our point of view was embarrassing and said to the world that NUFC thinks of itself as a sh*t club that can't compete at this level.  More fundamentally, there are many ways to lose a football match: unexpected brilliance from your opposition; not wholly unexpected stupidity from yourselves; entirely predictable, in our case, bad luck - their second goal a good example; cheating by the opposition (which I'm not suggesting Chelsea did); losing concentration when defending; getting players sent off, which didn't happen today only because of some very lenient refereeing; bad refereeing decisions - the penalty; etc. etc.  My point here is that there are a multitude of factors beyond the control of the players or that cannot be accounted for in the most meticulous of managerial plans.  There is only one way to win a football match - outscoring the opposition, and for 70 minutes today we didn't really give it a try.  I'd like to know why.
We never wanted or even thought about matching Chelsea's attacking approach to this game and i didn't expect us to. I understand Rafa trying to nullify their pressure but i also expected a force going forward on the counter attack which didn't really happen. Maybe the fact that Shelvey was missing with his vision to put us on the front foot was a factor. But i have to say it's gonna be a miserable season if we have to endure that (non) football type of game...... we were at home and fought like a poodle in a dog fight. 

I may be wrong but i still think Rafa is trying to show Ashley how weak we are.

P.S ..... i also applaud Joselu's goal but is it acceptable that we have to rely on that ???
(27-08-2018, 12:33 AM)Boydie Wrote: I may be wrong but i still think Rafa is trying to show Ashley how weak we are.
I think you could be right, but he's wasting his time because Ashley doesn't give a sh*t.  Perhaps he's trying to show those numpties in the media who think we've got a good squad that it is in fact very limited - although we are nowhere near as limited as that non-display yesterday would suggest.  Or maybe he's trying to engineer a sacking and thus get out of a job I'm sure he no longer wants (because of Ashley), without having to pay the arsehole any compensation.

If there's any truth to the suggestion that Lascelles fell-out with him over tactics, then I think that yesterday's performance demonstrated why.
(26-08-2018, 06:40 PM)IGhostfaceKillah Wrote: I don't have a problem with playing defensive at home, but you can't play THAT defensive, with no counter attacking option, regardless of who is fit or who you have in your squad. That was poor, really really poor. The fans only really started singing around 80 minutes after the equaliser and you can see why, what on earth is there to get vocal about when you are sat watching that dross?! I haven't had a season ticket for years so I can't speak on behalf of those who do turn up, but I am glad I am not one of those who had to endure that in the stadium today, it was absolutely dire.

On the back of a really poor performance against Cardiff from Rafa down to the players, we needed to show something today, something more than we did. It was a game of attack vs defence where until we went 1-0 down never looked like scoring in a million years. Yes it wasn't a penalty, but if you are going to sit 9 behind the ball and have your only outlet miles away from his midfield players, with the standard of refereeing in the Premier League, there is always a chance you will get a dodgy decision against you. I fear more for the City game as they have players who will take shots on from outside the box, and if we line up like that, we are going to be looking at another embarrassing performance and another nailed on defeat.

Long term it goes back to what has been said time and time again, until we empty the ground, quit spending money in and around the club, as well as boycotting any Ashley owned shops... and maybe suffer another relegation, we will not get rid of the fat feck who owns the club. Is Ashley entirely to blame for us having 10% possession in the second half? No. However games like this when you look at the two squads on offer, we are probably as far behind Chelsea as we ever have been, and we are still making a net profit from transfer windows. The match going fans have to ask themselves what they really want here. Under Rafa we are going to get the team setting up like that time and time again against the big teams, but ultimately would you sacrifice Rafa for someone who will open us up every game?! It's an interesting question as I am sure there will be fans who would rather lose that sort of game having a real go, rather than go down with a whimper like we did.

Come the end of this season we are going to find out anyway. Rafa will not sign a new contract so we are going to be looking at a new manager coming in. Knowing that and knowing that there are 3 worse teams than us in the league, I'd like to see us have a go against the bigger teams regardless. It's pointless wanting Rafa to open up as it isn't his style, neither is 5 at the back with no attempt to win the game. I think there is a middle ground to be found. We don't have such a poor squad that we have to resort to playing like that, there isn't really an excuse to line up against anyone with no real plan to attack and win the game.

One thing is for sure, supporting Newcastle is becoming a bloody miserable experience once again. The second half of last season gave me hope that we could give everyone a game on our day and put up a respectable fight in the league. Right now though it is a thoroughly depressing watch and I don't see a real end in sight. Football is a hobby, we watch it for enjoyment, and regardless of what side of the fence you find yourself on, I don't think anyone could argue that what we watched today could be classed as a form of entertainment. For 80 minutes it was a torturous watch and I think Rafa owes the fans something better than the performance we saw today when we are the home team.

Blogged!
(26-08-2018, 06:48 PM)Eeeeen Wrote: I agree it was no penalty and that it was a cracking goal by Joselu.  I will also say that for 15-20 minutes a football match broke out at St. James' Park, that we drew 1-1 against a very good Chelsea side.  Because we played them at football.  What had preceded that from our point of view was embarrassing and said to the world that NUFC thinks of itself as a sh*t club that can't compete at this level.  More fundamentally, there are many ways to lose a football match: unexpected brilliance from your opposition; not wholly unexpected stupidity from yourselves; entirely predictable, in our case, bad luck - their second goal a good example; cheating by the opposition (which I'm not suggesting Chelsea did); losing concentration when defending; getting players sent off, which didn't happen today only because of some very lenient refereeing; bad refereeing decisions - the penalty; etc. etc.  My point here is that there are a multitude of factors beyond the control of the players or that cannot be accounted for in the most meticulous of managerial plans.  There is only one way to win a football match - outscoring the opposition, and for 70 minutes today we didn't really give it a try.  I'd like to know why.

I hate to be the one saying this but nufc is a sh*t club that can’t compete at this level. We have an owner that has shown for 11 years that he has no intention of even trying to compete at this level and the only reason we’re still at this level is Rafa. Our first 11 is just about good enough to avoid relegation but beyond that we have nothing, this is the direct result of 11 years of being a none competing, no ambition club. This isn’t going to change until the club is sold. 

Sorry for being so negative but there really is nothing left of the club we all grew up with and fell for.