Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Chelsea (a)
Does nobody else see this the way I did and that Rafa seemed to take it as a "free" game.
One to experiment in given that regardless of what team he put out we would eventually get picked off by a far superior team.
When else has he set us up with a back 3 and 2 wing backs?
Probably an experiment he won't try again, with those players anyway, but if you don't try it you don't find these things out.

In my opinion, the only real plus these last few games has been the form of Murphy.
Yes, there's still a way to go for him, but he's bordering on putting in a match winning performance.
He seems to have lost that early season nervous streak and is now going out and playing his game and clearly enjoying it.
His situation seems to have been well managed by Rafa.

As I said elsewhere, I hope we never turn in to a club like Chelsea if/when this takeover happens. Glory hunting w*nkers replacing the Chelsea Headhunters of old. Coaches parked next to ours from Devon, Norwich and fecking Belgium. Jesus, no wonder old style support for teams is dying on its arse.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
I hadn’t thought if the game being a throw away, maybe you’re on to something. In this case i don’t think it was the tactics that killed us but individual errors and the ability of Hazard and co to take advantage. Clearly Ritchie isn’t suited to the role he was given but you have to try these things if you’re gonna learn about them.

I understand what you’re saying about not becoming a chelsea, a team with a small hardcore support that has turned into a globaly supported team on the back of investment and success. However in the game as it is if you want to play in the premiership and have any chance of success you have to have the money that comes with global branding, without it you won’t compete. Global branding, global players, global tv rights and european football... With that comes global supporters. I noticed a while back a big movement towards watching gateshead and blyth and shields.... that’s the last stronghold of the kind of support and kind of football that we used to have, the premiership is a different beast altogether but if we want to compete in it we have to embrace what it’s become too.
Totally agree with Sir Les.
(06-12-2017, 03:09 PM)Ciatmol Wrote: I hadn’t thought if the game being a throw away, maybe you’re on to something. In this case i don’t think it was the tactics that killed us but individual errors and the ability of Hazard and co to take advantage. Clearly Ritchie isn’t suited to the role he was given but you have to try these things if you’re gonna learn about them.

I understand what you’re saying about not becoming a chelsea, a team with a small hardcore support that has turned into a globaly supported team on the back of investment and success. However in the game as it is if you want to play in the premiership and have any chance of success you have to have the money that comes with global branding, without it you won’t compete. Global branding, global players, global tv rights and european football... With that comes global supporters. I noticed a while back a big movement towards watching gateshead and blyth and shields.... that’s the last stronghold of the kind of support and kind of football that we used to have, the premiership is a different beast altogether but if we want to compete in it we have to embrace what it’s become too.

Though I get what you are saying and partly agree, I think I preferred going to Chelsea years ago when you half expected to get beaten up.
Rather have those days than worrying if you are going to get a clout round the ear with a copy of the Financial Times.

It really is a different world though. The whole setup around the ground is like accessing a major party conference. Half a dozen ticket checks and searches just to get to the turnstiles.
I'm not really arguing with the security aspect. You can never be too cautious. But would that happen looking after your average rank and file supporter? I doubt it. It's more like a protection of the tourist industry in a troubled part of North Africa.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
(06-12-2017, 05:39 PM)SirLes9 Wrote:
(06-12-2017, 03:09 PM)Ciatmol Wrote: I hadn’t thought if the game being a throw away, maybe you’re on to something. In this case i don’t think it was the tactics that killed us but individual errors and the ability of Hazard and co to take advantage. Clearly Ritchie isn’t suited to the role he was given but you have to try these things if you’re gonna learn about them.

Though I get what you are saying and partly agree, I think I preferred going to Chelsea years ago when you half expected to get beaten up.
Rather have those days than worrying if you are going to get a clout round the ear with a copy of the Financial Times.

It really is a different world though. The whole setup around the ground is like accessing a major party conference. Half a dozen ticket checks and searches just to get to the turnstiles.
I'm not really arguing with the security aspect. You can never be too cautious. But would that happen looking after your average rank and file supporter? I doubt it. It's more like a protection of the tourist industry in a troubled part of North Africa.

I don’t disagree, i’m not saying modern football is better, that what we have right now is better. I’m just saying if we want premiership football right now we have to put up with these things because that’s what premiership football is. In a lot if ways the strong local ties that nufc maintain is what makes us unique in the premiership (in terms of supporters) but of course the more succesful you become, the  ore you open up to the global stage of the premiership the more you lose that close local tie. It’s sad, u fortunately it’s inevitable. Thankfully, there is still spartans and the heed and we can have the best of both worlds. In a lot of ways i miss pre premiership days and the type of football played and the atmosphere you had in and around grounds across the country, i just don’t think we’ll see that again in this new era outside of grass roots football, and that is again quite a sad thing.