Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Perez
There's been quite a bit of "slagging Perez" amongst United fans on social media.

Comments seem to polarise around lack of goals, loads of running around with no impact or end product and his falling over antics.

I've never been a big fan of Perez myself, but just wonder if it would be worth resting him and trying something else?

For example - whilst playing both Shelvey and Merino against Liverpool clearly worked, I think we lost defensive capability through dropping Hayden.

How about dropping Perez instead and moving Merino there, with Shelvey in the middle and Hayden behind him in front of the back four?

Thoughts?

huh?

Mick
I think he is contributing more to the cause than he ever has in black and white this season. He has bought into the ethos of working his socks off and he is really putting a shift in.

In the same way Ritchie, Atsu and Joselu work hard, but don't alwayd have the final ball to match.

On this occasion singling Perez out seems odd, as Perez didn't miss the 4 chances against Stoke that Josulu did, nor did he miss the sitter that Joselu missed against Brighton.

Merino gets through far too much work to sit beyond the midfield, and despite Shelvey playing well yesterday, lets see if he can actually keep that up. On TV, against his old club, packed house, yeah I am sure that does bring your game on an extra 10-20%, especially when you are trying to win back favour from the club and supporters you let down. Let's see away from home, 3pm kick off, at a muted West Brom whether he can deliver the same. For now I'd still say our most consistent midfield partnership is Hayden and Merino. Shelvey still has it all to prove at this level before he becomes a guaranteed name on the team sheet.
Thought he had a good game .
DONT RENEW SEASON TICKETS ,DONT BUY SHIRTS ,DONT GO TO SPORTS DIRECT ,DONT GIVE THIS MAN ANY MORE MONEY .
(02-10-2017, 01:18 PM)GhostfaceKillah Wrote: I think he is contributing more to the cause than he ever has in black and white this season. He has bought into the ethos of working his socks off and he is really putting a shift in.

In the same way Ritchie, Atsu and Joselu work hard, but don't alwayd have the final ball to match.

On this occasion singling Perez out seems odd, as Perez didn't miss the 4 chances against Stoke that Josulu did, nor did he miss the sitter that Joselu missed against Brighton.

Merino gets through far too much work to sit beyond the midfield, and despite Shelvey playing well yesterday, lets see if he can actually keep that up. On TV, against his old club, packed house, yeah I am sure that does bring your game on an extra 10-20%, especially when you are trying to win back favour from the club and supporters you let down. Let's see away from home, 3pm kick off, at a muted West Brom whether he can deliver the same. For now I'd still say our most consistent midfield partnership is Hayden and Merino. Shelvey still has it all to prove at this level before he becomes a guaranteed name on the team sheet.

The slagging has been going on for more than oone game though.

It seems United fans always have to have a player they can have a go at - and now they've lost "the ginger Pirlo" it's Perez who is getting the treatment.

I even saw one lad on Twitter say "I hate Perez"  Lost It WTF?

How can he "hate" a NUFC player? A person I doubt he's even met?

The way I look at Perez is this. Rafa obviously wants him in the team and feels he contributes to the team effort and system. So even though I'm not convinced by the lad, who am I to argue?

If Rafa wants him, that'll do for me!

Mick
Seems he's this years whipping boy. Not a bad player tbh. Weighs in with a few goals and never stops running. He's a bit lightweight at times and in an ideal world I'd rather have a 25yr old Beardsley in that position. But guess what? We don't have one of those.
He does run and run all game .Not enough goals in him for me though but Rafa likes him and that's what counts
DONT RENEW SEASON TICKETS ,DONT BUY SHIRTS ,DONT GO TO SPORTS DIRECT ,DONT GIVE THIS MAN ANY MORE MONEY .
Thing is Mick, I have been guilty of having a go at Perez in the past. I think the effort he is showing this season is ten fold the effort we got last year. This showed with Benitez chopping and changing him with Diame in the Championship, where as now he is pretty much a nailed on starter. The lad has plenty of ability, he has a lovely touch at times and can be a good link up man. My biggest doubt has always been does he actually care enough, he is the sort of player who has been known to go missing if the wind changes direction slightly. This season though he has really bought in to what Benitez is trying to do. We don't have a team of superstars, but what we do have is a group of players who are really working their asses off for the cause, and Perez is right at the forefront of that.
I'll just add that he should get a lot more assists in that role. Can't remember when he last created a goal tbh
There's a lad on twitter told me he's been slagging him off for the last 3 years.
Seems to be really proud of the fact he was the forerunner in such matters.

Wonder how he felt when Perez scored the winner at Brighton?
No doubt he should have left it for one of our "better players"
I bet he's really missing Dummett right now and feels he's too short on options as to who gets the treatment.

Amazed at some peoples attitudes.
The lad tries his heart out.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

As Mick rightly says though, Rafa see's him as an integral part of his set up.
So should we.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
He's not my favourite player by any means but he's certainly not rubbish. I actually think he's came on leaps and bounds and has became a stronger player who doesn't fall over as easily as he used to. Id go as far to say that he deserves a bit of praise not slagging off.