This forum uses cookies
This forum makes use of cookies to store your login information if you are registered, and your last visit if you are not. Cookies are small text documents stored on your computer; the cookies set by this forum can only be used on this website and pose no security risk. Cookies on this forum also track the specific topics you have read and when you last read them. Please confirm whether you accept or reject these cookies being set.

A cookie will be stored in your browser regardless of choice to prevent you being asked this question again. You will be able to change your cookie settings at any time using the link in the footer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Reality Check
Mick Offline
Wor Rafa!

Reality Check
Rafa became our manager on 11th March 2016, just over a year ago.

He suffered defeat in his first match in charge, losing 1–0 away to eventual champions Leicester City on 14 March.

16th April - first win in charge of The Magpies, recording a convincing 3–0 victory over Swansea City in the Premier League.

Even though he inherited a team that was regarded as having too many players who were either sh*te or were looking to move on Newcastle ended the season with a six match unbeaten run, including a 5–1 final day win over third-place Tottenham Hotspur. However, the team was relegated to the Football League Championship due to rivals Sunderland claiming 12 points from their final six fixtures.

He's had ONE transfer window last summer (can't count January as he was undermined) - and recruited players needed to get us promotion. - job nearly done on that one, agreed?

If he stays, and gets the backing he needs, he will set about building a squad capable of competing in the EPL. But Rome wasn't built in a day - and even a manager of his quality will need a season or two to gradually build up our playing strength.

Nothing is going to change quickly, but we will se a gradual improvement.

If he stays

Mick

NUFC Tour of the Championship 2016/17
10-04-2017 06:10 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Sir Kevin Keegan Offline
Part Of The Furniture

RE: Reality Check
I think he is a good manager and the best we will ever have under this regime
If he stays or not is a different matter
I don't think he will get the backing if he does stay tbh.
This club is a merrygoround

DONT RENEW SEASON TICKETS ,DONT BUY SHIRTS ,DONT GO TO SPORTS DIRECT ,DONT GIVE THIS MAN ANY MORE MONEY .
10-04-2017 06:39 PM
Boydie Offline
Administrator

I'm happy enough with Rafa as already been stated he is the best we could expect to have at our club under this tyrant. But the future is far from certain as to whether he'll still be with us next term. i guess we'll find out soon enough just how ambitious Ashley is for next season when we see Rafa's reaction at the end of the season.

" Stick or twist Ashley? " ....... that is the question.
10-04-2017 07:30 PM
davytoon Offline
Senior Pro

We can only hope I guess. Will Ashley finally wake up? That's the big question.
I suspect not but it is impossible to 2nd guess what the fat lad will do.

GO ON FAT LAD- DO US ALL A FAVOUR AND SELL IT Beer
11-04-2017 07:27 AM
tattyheed Offline
Top Player

i'm sorry to say that i think that the cracks are starting to show.

he has 'favourite' players, and tactically his system seems to be inflexible.

i agree that Rome wasnt built in a day - i like him a lot and i hope that he stays - but i dont ever see any flamboyance in the future - and thats really all that we've ever had to hang our hats on once or twice in any season.

face it - without very major investment - we arent ever going to challenge the upper echelon - so what do we want?...mid-table?..
11-04-2017 09:52 AM
mickyquinnstache Offline
International

Benitez teams are always functional rather than flair. What would you rather have Martinez getting his players to play tippy happy football or Rafa playing controlled tactical football where we may just see some progress as a club and challenge for a cup or two? Liverpool a decade ago weren't pretty to watch. They won the champions league, the FA cup and challenged at the top. Likewise Chelsea under Jose were horrible to watch at times but they won things. I for one don't give a sh*t about playing the expansive beautiful game. With the level of players we have and are likely to have under Ashley we are never going to have success playing like Barcelona. With a coach like Rafa though we may just be able to punch above the level.

I agree that we seem a bit inflexible at the moment but lets face it with Gouf, Anita, Colback, Diame and Dummett in the team we are never going to be dynamic. Its horses for courses. We are seeing our limitations and probably going to stumble over the line. Big summer ahead one way or another. They either back him to the hilt or he will walk. No middle ground. We may get Martinez yet.....
11-04-2017 01:04 PM
davytoon Offline
Senior Pro

I agree with that. That is also the reason I do not go anymore as I prefer to be entertained a little. From a personal point of view I have not enjoyed much of this season at all and will probably not bother watching anymore games at all this season simply because I cannot take anymore of the mind-numbing crap (win or lose) that I have served up with thus far

GO ON FAT LAD- DO US ALL A FAVOUR AND SELL IT Beer
11-04-2017 03:27 PM