Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Safe standing ???
Something that hasn't been asked on here.... would you be for or against a safe standing area within St James' Park? If so where and if not why.

Would this be a success and could our very own SirLes (Steve) discuss this issue at the next meeting?
It's already been a point of discussion mate.
The club are seemingly in favour of it, but can do nothing more without a change in legislation from the FA.

It's a massive point really.

Firstly, the FA will not approve safe standing areas yet, but do not force fans to sit at games. Unsafe standing in my opinion as there is more chance of fans falling over the seats in the current set up.
Rail seating prevents this from happening.

I'm still not too sure how that will work for away fans mind.
Away from home we stand for 90 minutes in the seating areas. Maybe a little unfair on people who want to sit down but that's just the way it goes unfortunately.
As a regular away traveller I know first hand that our fans create a far better atmosphere standing up. Maybe odd to those who just don't get it, but again, that's the way it is.
So you could potentially have a safe standing area for home fans, alongside away fans standing in the seating area. Quite weird really.

I'm part of the "Wor Hyem" fan group, who are pushing for the creation of a singing area within SJP to help improve the failing atmosphere and are in negotiations with the club about it.
Now if that was to happen, fans could move to that section, wherever it may be, and I guess part of that areas criteria will be that fans will stand and sing. Again, in a less safe environment.
It would be hoped that in the event of a safe standing area being granted, then the fans in that proposed "singing section" would get first option to move in to it.

Where would I put a safe standing area? (which I'm obviously in favour of)
Again, difficult. You need somewhere big enough as the whole idea is to help create a better atmosphere. But you also need somewhere that won't interfere with the view of anyone sitting behind such a section.
By the time you remove the seating from the Strawberry corner and replace it with rail seating, that area would then not hold enough fans to make it a worthwhile exercise.
My own suggestion would be the North West Corner. (Milburn-Leazes)
Big enough and in an area that will not spoil anyone else's enjoyment or view.
A similar size to the one recently installed at Celtic.
Areas are currently being discussed for these fan type areas, by senior members of fan groups, but as yet they are pretty hush hush.
That's only fair as people may have to be moved to accommodate them and they need to be informed in the right manner.

Anyone interested in supporting the Wor Hyem fan group, you can sign up here worhyem1892.com
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.
Cheers Steve. :yep:
I'd love it if we could sort out standing for those who enjoy doing so.

I don't like it as it is where everyone is supposed to sit but gets up every time there's any action near them for a few reasons:
I'm small and if everyone stands up I can't see much!
As things are with the seats, the space to stand is so narrow, I worry I'll fall. I worry much more that big blokes who have had a few jars will fall.....

My fella has a walking stick and is unsteady on one side. He physically cannot stand up for 90 mins. Even standing still for a bit makes him wobble. This means if everyone stands he either sees nothing, or HE might fall!
Maybe he should go in the disabled section, but to be honest, I don't know if he'd qualify.

So as far as I'm concerned, if those who love to stand could go somewhere and stand, that would be brilliant for them and good for us too because not so many will stand in the seats!!

Complicated. scratch
X tc
"I'd rather learn from one bird how to sing than teach ten thousand stars how not to dance." ee cummings, 1894-1962
One of the biggest stumbling blocks for any standing or singing section is those currently in that proposed area who do not want to be part of it.
Whilst the majority of us (I assume) are in favour of such sections, would you be so keen if it meant you'd have to give your current seat up and move?
The club do not want to force anyone to move, but for the benefit of these groups, they would certainly like people to do so.

Groups like Wor Hyem know that there are thousands of fans, scattered all around the ground, who would be happy to sit/stand together and support the team throughout the game. Pretty much in the way that us away fans do.
But it's no good when you have them all in little pockets in every corner of the ground. They need to be together. Also, those not wanting to be part of it need to move somewhere else. Harsh, but a reality if things are to improve in terms of ground atmosphere.
The current area where a lot of fans moved to, the east corner of the Gallowgate, still has a lot of fans in who do not want to take part. They argue with those who do and therefore the atmosphere can get killed very quickly.

The club needs to support this in every way it can and at the moment things are looking very positive.
Hopefully the standing legislation can be changed soon and that can be the next challenge for our fan groups.
"We are not a stepping stone, we are Newcastle United. Every player should be honoured to wear the shirt of this club" Rafa Benitez.