The Newcastle United Forum

Full Version: Rugby in Town.
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Been going to put this up for a while but I decided to wait till it actually arrived in town and then see what it brought along.

The Rugby World Cup 2015, probably the biggest sporting event likely to hit this region in our lifetimes.
Lets face it, we aint going to see a football one here are we! Corruption in the game (and it WILL continue) will see to that.

Anyway, whether your a fan of the game or not, you must know it's going on.
And my God, how good was it to be in town on Saturday and sample how they do it with oval balls!
First of all, we are lucky enough to have 2 of the top 3 teams in world rugby gracing our stadium, a stadium that looks like a proper sporting venue for the tournament by the way. All of the tat we have on show at our games is covered over.
We had South Africa on Saturday and we then get New Zealand on Friday. The rugby equivelant of us getting Argentina and Spain in the football. As I said though, that's never going to happen.
Scotland also cross the border for 2 games.

So Saturday saw the first game in SJP between South Africa and Scotland and tickets sold out very quickly. They cost between £75 and £150 by the way!
All the talk in the build up was about how 100 000 Scots were expected in the city. Amazingly, when we got in to town there were at least as many green shirted Springbok fans.
Not being lucky enough to get a ticket we headed to the "fanzone" set up on the derelict brewery site. An indoor and outdoor area, with bars a plenty as well as fairground rides, rugby merchandise, kids rugby arena and food stalls. Incredible is all I can say.
4 huge screens to watch the games on and around 10 000 people in there before and after the game, with thousands staying in to watch who didn't have tickets.
We watched 3 games there and spent 7 very enjoyable hours amongst a great mix of fans from all over the world. Jesmond to Johannesburg.
We staggered out at 10.30 with the only blights on the day being a defeat for England and a minor scuffle between some over excitable fans. Very much a small affair and quickly sorted.

So if anyone is in need of a welcome break from the football, get yourself along on Friday or Saturday. You really won't be disappointed.
It may not be our first choice sport, but they certainly know how to do things right. Newcastle as a host city have done themselves proud and the feedback from fans and rugby hierarchy has been excellent.
I'm sure when the tournament returns here we will be on the list of chosen cities once again.
I have to say i'm nota fan of the sport but i know what you're talking about. i was new to france when the world cup was here and working in a bar. we worked our socks off but the atmosphere was fantastic, mostly irish and welsh lads in our town and our stocks took a pummelling :lol: great times.

I'd say even if you don't like the sport or don't have a ticket get along to a bar or event and enjoy i imagine it'd be great crack.
i dont think ive ever sat through a full game of rugby .not my thing at all
Sounds great!
I do like rugby, (of both codes) though have never taken time to understand all the rules, so at times it seems a very odd game. They all seem to know how it works, which I guess is the main thing.
Crowd behaviour interests me. They don't segregate in the stadium (do they?) and drink plays a big part in the enjoyment, yet there never seems to be much trouble. I can't imagine footie fans 'integrating' / tolerating each other in the same way.
Why the different culture?
'posher' fans? For want of a better word? Maybe in England, but not in Wales....
(05-10-2015, 07:36 PM)Tinyclanger16 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds great!
I do like rugby, (of both codes) though have never taken time to understand all the rules, so at times it seems a very odd game. They all seem to know how it works, which I guess is the main thing.
Crowd behaviour interests me. They don't segregate in the stadium (do they?) and drink plays a big part in the enjoyment, yet there never seems to be much trouble. I can't imagine footie fans 'integrating' / tolerating each other in the same way.
'posher' fans? For want of a better word? Maybe in England, but not in Wales....

Football is more working class sport......rugby union was mainly taught in your private schools.....We played a bit in our school but we came up against a private school we got smashed.Thats there primary sport.It is a total different culture.
But saying all that brother in law and his dad played for Ryton and they are by no means public school boys,but the school they went to ryton comp pushed all sports football,cricket and rugby I think alot depends on the school and the teachers.
Fuck me a remember me and pap's playing a bit of hockey at ye old monkseaton high.
That may well be a valid point regarding the different classes attending both sports.
But is football still a really working class sport?
I doubt fans at the likes of Chelsea and Arsenal would agree with their ticket structure, but on the whole I guess it is more for the working classes.
I did mention the ticket prices being a bit more on the upper class level as well, but would it be any different at a football world cup?
My guess is that Blatter and co will be looking to fleece the supporter at every given opportunity.
I've never attended a World Cup game, but I did attend Euro 96 games and paid nearly £40 a ticket back then. What would that equate to now?

If anyone watched the local news last night they will see what I was on about. The feedback from everyone has been very good, with the fanzone being the best attended in the country so far. I think they said 34000 passed through the doors on Saturday, though many of those will have left and returned either side of the game at SJP.

The money coming in to the local economy will be huge as well.
Hotels were at 98% capacity, and that is a hell of a lot of hotel rooms.
Add to that the money spent on food and drink and we are probably talking 10's of millions.
And we have it all to come again this weekend, Twice!
Following the discussion regarding the higher class level of the rugby fan, and me and the other half quite clearly fitting in to that category,:D I have bought us a couple of tickets to see the All Blacks at St James' Park tonight.
They were previously listed as sold out, but they suddenly had availability so we snapped them up.

I'll report back once I have recovered from my Pimms and Champers hangover Big Grin
(05-10-2015, 08:52 PM)Paranoid Pedro Wrote: [ -> ]
(05-10-2015, 07:36 PM)Tinyclanger16 Wrote: [ -> ]Sounds great!

Football is more working class sport......rugby union was mainly taught in your private schools.....We played a bit in our school but we came up against a private school we got smashed.Thats there primary sport.It is a total different culture.
But saying all that brother in law and his dad played for Ryton and they are by no means public school boys,but the school they went to ryton comp pushed all sports football,cricket and rugby I think alot depends on the school and the teachers.
feck me a remember me and pap's playing a bit of hockey at ye old monkseaton high.

At school we weren't "allowed" to play football at first ... you were only allowed to play later on, once you had proved yourself sufficiently useless at rugby. I spent many of my rugby days freezing on the wing, scarcely able to make my hands function. I can't say I really liked it .... I wouldn't say it was a preserve of the privately educated but it is more middle class in England than football.
It isn't just that rugby supporters from opposing sides seem to be able have a drink with one another before and after the match ... although it is a game with cnsiderable physical contact and sometimes fisticuffs break out during the match, all players shake one anothers' hands after the game. What is more, players are not allowed to disrespect the officials. I wonder whether those factors contribute to better behaviour amongst the supporters. I don't think rugby clubs attract anywhere near the the same tribal loyalty as football clubs.
As you say, there is not the same level of tribal loyalty and rivalry that there is in football.
Maybe a case that there is more an appreciation of the game itself as opposed to being a love of a particular team.

This World cup is a great example of that.
Fans of all countries turning up to watch great teams that they do not "support" but you know they are the best and like or appreciate them for that reason.

Last weekend when Scotland played South Africa there were many different countries represented in the stands, and all of them wore their own countries colours.
The same will happen tonight when I'm sure there will be many fans there simply to see the greatest team on earth.
We will obviously be wearing our England shirts for the comedy value :D

Having said all of the above, I did have a run in with a Scotland fan last weekend as he wildly celebrated an England defeat.
Even some rugby fans can still be as this as an elephants foreskin I suppose.
Can I just say, we are only in the fucking directors box for the game. What's that all about?
Pages: 1 2